Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

82 vh ss

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Daz... good thinking there

I started (re-started) my track experience by doing a highperformance driving day... with Frank Porter Cam McConville and John Harvey as our track instructors
You think you can drive around a circuit quickly but these guys quickly point out where you are getting it wrong

thanks Smitty
yeah mate I'm not even at the point where I think I can drive quick, I know I'm slow lol ;) Biggest limitation at the moment (apart from the street tyres I was running) was me, the driver. My car was capable of a lot more, but I just don't feel confident pushing much harder. Had a couple of moments over the last couple of track days where I've driven beyond my ability. Fortunately I managed to catch them (more arsey than ability), but it does remind you how easily it can all come undone, and Lakeside is not the sort of track that you want to come off at. It does scare me at times, especially when I see all the photos at the drivers brief of all the written off cars they see almost every month at the track.

There was a near stock Grp 3 VH running at Lakeside last track day. He did have slicks and suspension tuned to suit, but no coil overs etc and the engine was fairly much as Brock intended. Yet this thing was cutting lap times around 5-6 seconds quicker than me and was one of the quickest cars in his session, which included some imports and high powered late model HSV's. Fair enough he had slicks but I put a lot of it down to his driving experience. There's Hyundai Excel Cup cars out there that are lapping quicker than me. No dramas down the straights, but they are all over me on the corners and braking areas. I end up stepping aside and let them past because I open a huge gap down the straight, but then hold them up on all the corners ;)
So yeah it just goes to show driver skill/experience is actually more important at a track like Lakeside than outright car speed. If you are lucky enough to have both, then nobody will catch ya!

Last edited:

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
took some photos today at Lake Apex
probably ended up taking more photos of the ducks & geese than I did my car lol

Img_1044_zps7444758a.jpg

Img_1046_zpsde3f64a2.jpg

Img_1026_zpsbc91c09d.jpg

Img_1042_zps7f5274d2.jpg

Img_1041_zps3327de50.jpg

Img_1022_zps9df988a4.jpg

Img_1029_zps196954cd.jpg

Img_1018_zpsa5555435.jpg

ducksampgeese_zps808818d1.jpg

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Looking great Darren

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Very very nice, love the first gen Commodores, wish it was mine.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
looking good Darren

should throw up a few shots of the seats, interior too

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I attended a 'Sports Driver Training' day on Saturday at Morgan Park Raceway -it was a lot of fun and I learnt a lot.

I ended up with a deflating front left tyre early in the session, so had to swap one of the rears to the front and fit the spare to the l/h/r
Spare was just a povo Bridgestone 'Supercat' so it kind of limited how hard I could push on r/h turns (it's the squealing tyre in the other videos I have). Just goes to show how good those Toyos are, the difference was amazing. But still was able to have a fairly good go.

The footage below was a 'hillclimb' session. Fortunately I still had the Toyos on all 4 wheels in the session. Wasn't anything 'hill' about it, but a lot of fun. We had 2 shots at it, which was timed just for fun. Watching the video back now I realise my lines were far from perfect, but it took some time to learn the track and I'm just a wannabe race car driver lol ;)

I'll post more video of the laps session when I'm done editing

Last edited by a moderator: