Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

82 vh ss

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I attended a 'Sports Driver Training' day on Saturday at Morgan Park Raceway -it was a lot of fun and I learnt a lot.

I ended up with a deflating front left tyre early in the session, so had to swap one of the rears to the front and fit the spare to the l/h/r
Spare was just a povo Bridgestone 'Supercat' so it kind of limited how hard I could push on r/h turns (it's the squealing tyre in the other videos I have). Just goes to show how good those Toyos are, the difference was amazing. But still was able to have a fairly good go.

The footage below was a 'hillclimb' session. Fortunately I still had the Toyos on all 4 wheels in the session. Wasn't anything 'hill' about it, but a lot of fun. We had 2 shots at it, which was timed just for fun. Watching the video back now I realise my lines were far from perfect, but it took some time to learn the track and I'm just a wannabe race car driver lol ;)

I'll post more video of the laps session when I'm done editing

That was pretty cool. Did you shave your 3sec off?
Yes your racing lines could be better, but I think you were playing it a bit safe. I probably would have taken the same lines, LOL

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
thanks Deuce
yeah I was unfamiliar with the layout, never raced the circuit before and for this session they only used a small section of one layout. Had 2 shots, so between being unfamiliar and playing it a bit safe, my lines certainly had room for improvement ;)

I needed to wipe 3 seconds off my first effort in order to beat the guy in front of me. I only managed to knock 1.9 seconds off, so that put me in 3rd position I think which I was fairly happy with.

bluevhwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore Wagon
Awesome ride mate! Love it! Got a question about your electronic speedo. Ive messaged you on your profile. Thanks mate!

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Some more upgrades over the last week

Whiteline adjustable caster rods and adjustable height rose joint tie rod ends (addresses bump steer after lowering)
I got as much caster dialed in before the wheel hits the front of the guard. Just short of 4 deg
Tie rods are now level again with the control arms - should eliminate most bump steer.
Around 2.5 deg camber

With these mods, plus a set of Toyo R1R semi-track tyres now fitted, I'm keen to see if I can shave a couple of seconds of my PB at Lakeside
Next on the suspension list is Whiteline adjustable sway bars. I'll get the rear first, because I'm fairly happy with the 27mm front bar at the moment, but it needs less rear bar to settle the back end on the track. At the moment from memory it's about a 20mm.

49747Bump%20Steer%20tie%20rod%20kit%20Commdore.jpg

photo with the increased caster - note how close the front of the wheel is to the guard!
15.11.15_sm_zpsmdozb6iw.jpg

Last edited:

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
yip, that looks pretty sweet alright..

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Keep us posted over the adjustable caster rods......I remember when they first came out (pedders I think), they had a habit of breaking, so they discontinued them.....I wasn't aware of any other supplier of them until now