Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

84 SL Wagon Rat Build

Last-Rites

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 202 Auto NOS Rat Rod Wagon
Registered Rat Rods are high maintenance especially when it comes to the PoPo and the Gov. So lets be honest a rat rod is all visual ugliness with someones hate for a shiny paint job and the order to be like everyone else. So what did I find?

Well lucky enough for the past 6 months I have been driving past a workshop with a VK wagon sitting out the front. 202 EFI was gone along with the auto. Other bits and pieces were stolen over time but after much consideration I went in and asked a price. 24hrs later it was mine and we pushed it down to the workshop to have more of a gander.

VK-Day1-Front.JPG

As you can see there is a bit of rust here and there and its all surface. The front bumper is missing along with the grille, and headlights are in the back but are also pretty ****. After cleaning the inside out she came up really nicely. Sure there are some things wrong but nothing major. The underbody (other than 30 years of oil leaks) is in GREAT condition. The diff appears to be a 3.08 banjo and yeh Im happy.

So where to start?

Engine is ready to go, gearbox is awaiting fitment, another diff when money comes around, tail shaft needs to be replaced, suspension needs upgrading, power steering and air con GONE, tow bar out and rear bumper will be gone soon enough too! Chrome bumpers here we come!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Is the VH motor going in this ?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Do bare essentials to make it roadworthy then enjoy advantages not worrying about dents or scratches....added bonus is people who get offended by looks of the car.

Have had a few nice cars but really enjoy the roughness of vp ute daily as it's parked between expensive 4wds & mercs at work haha

Last-Rites

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do bare essentials to make it roadworthy then enjoy advantages not worrying about dents or scratches....added bonus is people who get offended by looks of the car.

Have had a few nice cars but really enjoy the roughness of vp ute daily as it's parked between expensive 4wds & mercs at work haha

Yeh basically just cleaning it up for an EASY road worthy and make it work properly for the family to enjoy. Wont take too long I hope.

Last-Rites

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well after selling the VH for a pretty penny I have pretty much purchased everything I need to get the build moving along quickly. I opted to go with some bumpers from Everlast Automotive in Adelaide (www.everlastauto.com.au), all new Supa-Pro suspension bushes where needed, Super Low King Springs with Monroe Shocks, and heaps more. When checking underneath it needs a really good clean so I have pulled out the carpet and the seats as some of the floor plugs have fallen out over the years and I want it to be pretty water tight. Anyway its coming along nicely and I hope to have all the interior back together by next weekend as the locks are being rekeyed and I suspect I have a cowl panel leak to find and fix!

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Probably pinholed through metal underneath plastic cover above heater box also other above pedals.

If they've been sitting for long time spots where leaves/dirt etc builds up also traps water when it rains....had it happen on a vk sedan that sat for 5 years in a shed with leaking roof.

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
Pull the front screen & look in the bottom corners, GM didn't have the best sealant nor work instructions back in the day!

Last-Rites

Reaction score
Members Ride
From what I can work out so far its above the pedals and this vehicle is AMAZING and still has ALL the under dash covers fitted. I dont want to wreck it but knowing 30 yr old clips something is going to happen. There is no signs of rust in the windscreen at this stage but we will see tomorrow when I pull it out with a mate who does screens. Either way a good clean is coming to that area along with under the dash. May just pull the air con and heater out seeing as I wont be using it :(

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Sounds much like my vk sedan for body condition & trim...can't imagine price people would want for a similar car.