Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

85 VK HELP - No Chassis/Vin on strut tower

aepc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 253 & VP V8 Ex Cop
Hi All,

I just recently bought a 85 VK for a project, and after close inspection I noticed that the passenger strut tower doesnt have a chassis/vin number stamped.
The paint on the strut tower looks like it has been sanded off or something?

I have checked everywhere else, no stamped info anywhere.

There are the plates on the radiator support - BVK0*****M - is this a chassis #?
This plate does look like its been tampered with - it has a second set of drill holes in it and then empty rivet holes. Clearly not right?

I want to be sure before spending thousands restoring this VK.
I have done a serial/chassis number check on PPSR, using the number BVK0*****M, and no results were found. Good thing maybe?

I have however found the Engine #, Serial #/Body #, Model #, Rego Serial #

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers!

Andrew

GTS-Replica

Full Members
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International / VS GTS-R Replica!
Any pics of the tags and number car ? Probely a re birth

aepc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 253 & VP V8 Ex Cop
Thanks for the reply

Hope these help

Strut tower:
DSCF0786.jpg

Comp Plates:
(These are readable, just **** in photos)

DSCF0793.jpg

DSCF0794.jpg

Radiator Support:
DSCF0800.jpg

magnetvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 381pack
I had the same on my VH. I ended up rubbing back the paint to bare metal on the strut tower and found it. Mine was bogged over and didn't match the vin tags. I ended up getting an investigation done on the car ( which doesn't cost anything) and they came back with' the cars not stolen, just different vin tags'. They ended up taken the vin tags off the car, Delicenced it and gave me a letter stating I can register the car without compliance plates and it's free of charge too take it ova the pits, doesn't matter how many times I gota go back and forth to the pits. Just pay the licence. They put a code 302 (W.A. Don't know wot it would b in other states) on your licence plate in the database which is if the cops run your plates it will say licence without compliance plates and you'll b safe.

GTS-Replica

Full Members
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dont bother doing that up it looks like a 2 year old re birthed it.. Dont call the police what ever you do you will end up with nothing they will take it off you. It will have legit tags and a clear title but thats bodgy it would have been stolen at some stage.. Any pics of the car ?

GTS-Replica

Full Members
Reaction score
Members Ride
The rivets are there because they couldent find ones that fit the holes so they made there own. Has it been resprayed what colours of the tag ? I dont think vk's came out 253 so it may have a 253 number on a 308 block..

magnetvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 381pack
For starters the vin tags supposed to be near the passenger strut tower not on the radiator support. Thats been changed.
It's a VK tag

VK8VK19. Is SL sedan
Trim 24X is cerulean
Eng L14 is 3.3L 202
M40 is 3spd trimatic
RRAXLE GU5 is 3.23:1 ratio

Sand the chassis number on the strut tower right back to bare metal. U should c a number.

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
tags are in the wrong spot

but the scratched bit doest seem to be enough to cover the whole tag

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
There may be another solution, if you can get another set of tags and vin number and re birth the rebirthed, it used to be common practice in the HQ days the tags arent anything special straight 6 povo pack, it looks like the tags were moved, the vin could be restamped and tags refitted in their original locations but they will still be damaged.

Cheers
Scott

aepc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 253 & VP V8 Ex Cop
thanks heaps all very helpful...im going to sand the top of the tower and have a closer look.

let you know my findings

Andrew