Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

86' VL Auto Commodore | Engine cuts out after starting

basick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 3.0
Before I start I've read around these forums and it would seems that perhaps the problem lies with the CAS but I'm not entirely sure so here goes.

The car started losing power while driving not too long ago but on very random occasions, I'd accelerate and it would kind of surge but wasn't a major issue at the time. Became more frequent and now it sits in my driveway. It will start/turnover fine like normal but then like 2 seconds into idling sounds like it starts running on less cylinders (engine starts jumping abit) and dies. Chug Chug... I've tried accelerating on startup but it seems to lose all power and dies, on the occasion the revs will get high enough and I can rev it out at like 3000rpm but as soon as I drop the revs same thing.

EDIT: Have checked spark leads and plugs, no corrosion, everything looked mint.

I have one of these car manuals handy so if anyone can either point me in the right direction or actually give me some directions to follow it'd be greatly appreciated.

For the record I'm pretty car illiterate but hope to use this experience as a stepping stone into learning about car mechanics ^^

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
might be a blocked fuel filter

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
Maybe Look At This Thread

Before I start I've read around these forums and it would seems that perhaps the problem lies with the CAS but I'm not entirely sure so here goes.

The car started losing power while driving not too long ago but on very random occasions, I'd accelerate and it would kind of surge but wasn't a major issue at the time. Became more frequent and now it sits in my driveway. It will start/turnover fine like normal but then like 2 seconds into idling sounds like it starts running on less cylinders (engine starts jumping abit) and dies. Chug Chug... I've tried accelerating on startup but it seems to lose all power and dies, on the occasion the revs will get high enough and I can rev it out at like 3000rpm but as soon as I drop the revs same thing.

EDIT: Have checked spark leads and plugs, no corrosion, everything looked mint.

I have one of these car manuals handy so if anyone can either point me in the right direction or actually give me some directions to follow it'd be greatly appreciated.

For the record I'm pretty car illiterate but hope to use this experience as a stepping stone into learning about car mechanics ^^

Hi:)

After you do what "harry3" says; it might be time to have a look at an old thread that was started sometime ago.

The same thing happended to my VL so I recon it could be the Crank Angle sensor in combination with the distributor bearing.

There's plenty of info if you look at the thread called:
"Starting problems VL manual"

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...6-1988/14135-starting-problems-vl-manual.html

The guys on the forum helped me out, so maybe if ya have a good read you may find your problem can be easily fixed especially since you have a repair manual.

Anyway, best of luck.

PS: A Crank Angle Sensor and new bearing for the distributor are not very expensive if you shop around at the local auto shops.:thumbsup:

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Sounds like a fuel issue to me, either regulator or one of the pumps. Also worn plugs can cause "mystery stalls", happened to me (ultratune epping in Vic did not change the 2 center plugs when they serviced my car WTF lol). good luck with it, i had to take mine to bresciani to get it sorted finally, been good as gold since for last 2 years

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
worn out or defective sparkplugs are often overlooked and yes the 2 centre ones are quite difficult

a mechanic advises to always use a wobble joint in the plug spanner to make things easier, also hand thread the new plugs, using a length of plastic tube over the insulator to avoid cross threading which can happen with the aluminum head