Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

86 vl auto trans problems??

jayrb30

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL executive N/A
hey,

i know the vl's will not go in to over drive (eco mode) when it is cold but mine seams to, but when it warms up its stuck in eco mode and will not kick down when i put my foot down a bit for over taking or what ever, i have to manually come down to 2nd and the motor is screaming its tits off..

the pwr light will come on when on hard acceleration but still does not kick down to 3rd just stays in 4th even if it is in pwr mode.

can you's please point me in the right direction, cheers!

jayrb30

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL executive N/A
okay so i just went for a drive in the car, ive worked out that the car when shifted in to drive, it go's straight to eco mode (4th gear) even with the button out, (pwr mode)

hopefully this clears it up a bit.

i

Scrusy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL wagon
Mine did that too. Then it went to the scrappys and I got a 5 speed :) problem solved

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
okay so i just went for a drive in the car, ive worked out that the car when shifted in to drive, it go's straight to eco mode (4th gear) even with the button out, (pwr mode)

hopefully this clears it up a bit.

i

So are you saying:

A. when you put it in drive, it goes straight into 4th and you pull away super slowly?; or

B. when you put it in drive and drive around, when it gets to 3rd gear it'll automatically switch to 4th with or without the button pushed?

Could be the overdrive solenoid failing