Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

86 vl exec wagon project

88-SERIES200

Reaction score
Members Ride
rb30det VL wagon project, VL series 200
Just picked up these locally this morning for $180. genuine calais pop up front, manual shifter surround, calais grill and a calais centre garnish.
also got a vl turbo 3.45 ratio 28 spline lsd disc diff. (only $50 lol)

Attachments

• 08042011_001.jpg
    08042011_001.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 484
  • 08042011_004.jpg
    08042011_004.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 583
  • 08042011_003.jpg
    08042011_003.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 560
Last edited:

88-SERIES200

Reaction score
Members Ride
started the vl today after a month and it still runs good. got to start stripping off the old door moulds and get them ready for paint then angle grind the stripped nut that holds the jack in so i can get a slide hammer in behind the rear bumper to pull out a dent. Not really too much I can do until i have the money for paint and suspension..

Last edited:

88-SERIES200

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just a small update. All the door strips and the rear bumper have been removed. I also removed the whole intake manifold to be replaced with another cleaned and painted one which i have nearly finished and will get pics up of soon. the reason for the new manifold is because the old manifold's air bleed screw holes were completely stuffed (thread damage) and i had a spare.
I also got my tax back from 3 years ago lol! so i have $650 i want to put towards materials to respray the car myself. A mate is lending me a shed for a weekend to spray the car in which beats spraying it out in the backyard for all the bugs to land on. Now I've just got to decide where to buy all the materials and paint from and what brands i want to use. I'll also have to find someone with a big enough air compressor that can at least keep up with spraying sections of the car at a time.

88-SERIES200

Reaction score
Members Ride
The vl should be getting a full bare metal respray within the next 2 months if things go to plan.. I went a few hundred over budget on paint and materials but it should all be well worth it when it's finished.

88-SERIES200

Reaction score
Members Ride
pulled out all the glass a couple of weeks ago and the whole area around the windscreen is rusted out really bad. so bad that there is 6 inch long holes straight through the pillar and the cowl panel is completely gone. so instead of getting a new shell i went out and bought a mig welder and then cut out all the rust and now im buying a new cowl panel and getting replacement sheet metal fabricated to weld back into the pillars. i'm also going to weld up the holes where the roof racks where and also the windscreen trim hole on the roof.

Last edited:

88-SERIES200

Reaction score
Members Ride
Things are coming along but slowly. got all four doors off today which was easy except for the lower door pins on both rear doors. So now i can start sanding the door jambs etc. Oh and got a quote off the metal fab guy today when he looked at the windscreen section and all 3 panels i need to be made will only cost me $10 in total which is awesome since the new cowl panel will be costing me $214 and i still need to get gas for the mig and then pay for booth hire and a few other things. I also just got a new phone with a good camera so when i set it up with my comp i'll get some photos up.

88-SERIES200

Reaction score
Members Ride
Should have my relacement pillar panels by thursday so i'll be welding them in over christmas :) I'm now rebuilding my rb25det in the shed and putting that in along with some 4.11 diff gears.

Last edited:

88-SERIES200

Reaction score
Members Ride
Got fvcked around by the metal fab guy big time. other places want too much or arent interested. not worth my money for the result.

This car is now fully stripped an no more however i just purchased a perfect one owner 87 vl executive wagon with only 60,000 original kilometres on it, perfect interior, perfect engine bay, nearly zero rust (surface only on cowl panel), and as straight as new. runs perfect too. So this is the base of my new project.
The plan is to fit a rb30 with a 25 head as i have sold off all my single cam rb30 turbo gear and i already have everything minus a computer for a 25.
So will now close this thread obviously.

88-SERIES200

Reaction score
Members Ride
Can a moderator please delete this thread..