Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

87 Camira Engine and Drivetrain Swap - HELP NEEDED

NAUTZZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VI 87 Camira
Hey guys,
First time posting so ask whatever you need but keep it kind

So I have a project but not too sure how to go about it, I have an 87 VI Camira and wanna fit a rear wheel V6 in it...I know this is gonna require alot of work - I hear there's a GM 3.6 V6 engine that fits straight in the engine bay? The other thing is Camiras only came out in auto so I wanna dump a manual transmission in it, gonna have to fabricate a whole new tunnel etc. What parts would I need for this?

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
My mate and I have discussed building a Camira before with a Holden 304 and T5 5 speed manual.
He had a JE manual wagon so it could be a very easy job, as the VL was built in the same year and there is the possibility of the K Frame bolting in then just needing to fabricate some diff mounts for the rear.
As the Camira was only FWD, it's more than likely you would have to modify the firewall and tunnel to fit a driveshaft and possibly the gearbox housing.

GM make a 3.6L Alloytec starting in the VZ Commodore, they can be a good engine if they're well looked after. You would be better off going with the 3.8L Ecotec engine as it would be much simpler for wiring up.

If you do decide to go through with the build, start a build log here on the forum as I'd be more than happy to follow it :)

NAUTZZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VI 87 Camira
My mate and I have discussed building a Camira before with a Holden 304 and T5 5 speed manual.
He had a JE manual wagon so it could be a very easy job, as the VL was built in the same year and there is the possibility of the K Frame bolting in then just needing to fabricate some diff mounts for the rear.
As the Camira was only FWD, it's more than likely you would have to modify the firewall and tunnel to fit a driveshaft and possibly the gearbox housing.

GM make a 3.6L Alloytec starting in the VZ Commodore, they can be a good engine if they're well looked after. You would be better off going with the 3.8L Ecotec engine as it would be much simpler for wiring up.

If you do decide to go through with the build, start a build log here on the forum as I'd be more than happy to follow it :)
So would the Ecotec need a rwd conversion still or is it a fwd engine?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
There is so much wrong with this idea. Here's why.

1.The Camira body shell is not very rigid and you would have to cut a fair bit out of the firewall and floor to accommodate a RWD conversion. You would then need to reinforce the body to ensure it regained it's integrity.

2. The steering rack is bolted to the firewall, right where you would be looking to fit a larger engine. You'd have to work out a new steering set up.

3. The fuel tank sits under the rear seat. It has a shallow recess to accommodate the exhaust. You would have to either cut and modify the tank to accommodate the tail shaft or relocate another tank into the boot.

4. The Camira rear suspension is a simple torque arm setup. The design was such that it took up very little space Under the car, which is why the station wagon was able to have such a low floor. In other words, there isn't the room for a rear drive setup without extensive mods to the rear floor.

5. There isn't much structure under the rear end so you'd be looking at needing to add some strength there to fit the rear drive assembly.

If you are looking for a legal street machine, I'd suggest you look elsewhere. I don't think the Camira is a suitable basis for such drastic mods.