Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

87 VL 5sp Manual Gearbox

206driver

Anyone tell me if a 5sp gearbox from a Skyline 3.0L will go straight into a 87 VL Sedan? My 5sp factory box is knackered, finding a replacement is near on hell here in WA ......... they are rarer than chickens teeth.

thanks.

206driver

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
dont know if this is any help but ive got a R32 5spd on mine and its got the hydrolic clutch

i think there is some diffrance in the clutches, the commie has a hydrolic and the skyline is cable but i dont know if you can alter it, should b as mines hydrolic

206driver

appreciate your reply, i'll hang a bit and see if anyone else may have something to add.

BigDaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
i bought a skyline manual loom after being told thats its nearly exactly the same as the VL loom, completely different. im not even sure if it uses a speedo cable, it had a speedo sensor plug on it. i dare say there is differences

cohn

VN28CN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais Turbo
yes

i'm 99% sure the sklyine rb 30 box will fit onto your vl motor because the vls came out with the same motor as the skyline.

BigDaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
oh the box will bolt up no doubt, im just saying some of the other things might be different, like i said imm not sure :)

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
just make sure whether its a push or pull type clutch setup.

206driver

thanks for the reply's and pointers, much appreciated.

D

dibly1980

The holes in the brace that hold up the back end of the box i believe dont match up with the bolt holes in the box.....?

D

dibly1980

I got a reco box for $450 plus freight in Sydney. If ur interested let me know and ill get you the details.