Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

87 VL Power Steering Sqeal when full lock

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Hey guys, new member here so i'm prepared for the "omg search noob" speech lol, but I have searched google and these forums heaps and can't find anything, but i'm off to potentially buy an 87 VL tomorrow and while I was giving her a drive today, my dad and I heard a loud terrible sqeal coming from the engine bay when on full lock left anf full lock right. It also sounded like some sort of hissing, like pressure being forced out of somewhere. On return to the sellers house, we figured out it was the power steering belt slipping on full lock. Now i'm not sure about older cars, but isn't the pump meant to stop the belt slipping at full lock by releasing some sort of pressure or something so it doesn't stuff up?

Cheers guys, sorry if this was confusing but long story short: Power steering belt slips at full lock left & right and emits a really terrible squealing sound. Other than that, it works fine and is a breeze to steer.

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
Fairly common problem . I can't remember if mine does

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Ah okay. Is this due to any reason, like the power steering pump going or the belt needing replacing? I'm not used to working on these cars as the only cars i've had have been a 1983 Ford Courier with no power steering, and a 1989 Nissan S13 Silvia with p/s that worked fine.

I'll have a talk to my mechanic today anyway to see what he reckons. Cheers for the reply

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Ah ok thanks, yeah my dad rang a power steering place and they said it was the belt, but he reckons it's dirt cheap to replace anyway so I might just get a new belt.

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Since i'm getting the car into my mechanic when I buy it anyway [Seller says it's fine but the battery warning dash light comes on randomly & the belt situation etc] so I might see about getting him to do all the belts. My S13 was only $159 inc. labour to do all the belts so the VL should be cheaper, being an aussie car right?

Also, I know this could be out of the topic criteria a tad, but anything I should get checked/check straight away after receiving the car? It has drums on the rear which I might get checked out too for wear .

aussie_macca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Road trawling paddock bomb = moody VL
id honestly say your probably better off doing the belts yourself, nice easy job and saves paying labour. as for "rule of thumb" parts to check, i dont pretend to be a know it or all even know what anyone elses experiences are, but whenever ive bought a car the first things i have done is replace the oil and filter, same with the leads and plugs (though i may be fussy), air filter, and ive always replaced the radiator & heater hoses + decent coolant ( forgot this on just the one car and ended up learning my lesson on the side of the western freeway with steam pissing out of my bonnet at 10pm)......and on a side note i suppose it couldnt hurt to check the timing in case he's been running premium with the timing advanced, also i'd probably check the output of your alternator and have a fiddle with the plug on the back and see if your warning light comes on....anyhow thats just my 2 cents

Last edited:

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Brushes in the alternator could be worn out causing the light to come on at times or it could be just a bad connection on one of the wires. If the brushes are worn out it is cheap and easy to fix. The brush holder regulator assembly should only cost 20 to 30 dollars new and is held in by two small bolts at the back of the alternator.