Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

89 VN not Turning over

Blackwater V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Hi guys,

First post, after so much forum stalking lol.

Im having a problem with the ignition on my VN commodore. The car had a new battery installed a couple of weeks ago, started fine yesterday afternoon and then last night the engine didn't even turn over. When turning the ignition the dash lights come up weak/faint.

Im thinking that my Alternator is buggered and hasn't been charging my battery. However I wanted to hear from you guys to see if there is anything else that might be causing the ignition problem.

Thanks in Advance!

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Definitely try another alternator . Also check that the boot and glove box lights arent staying on and flattening the battery. It probably wont crank because the batterys flat.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
^^ good idea to check for lights that stay on...

also check conductivity on the 2 inch brown wire coming off your positive battery terminal, has a black plug on it. called the fuseable link. if thats broken or burnt it will cause the alternator to not charge. its quick to check and easy to fix if thats the problem. could also be your voltage regulator that bolts to your alternator, if the brushes are too short can cause it not to charge as well.... they commonly fail more often than the whole unit itself....

does your battery dash warning light come on while driving?

Blackwater V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Hey Guys,

replaced the Alternator & Battery and still the same problem...virtually no power to anything only just a faint park brake light slightly glowing. When changing the battery over I did see the Red/Positive power lead wires exposed. Im suspecting this to be the culprit or it could be the power relays.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Might be a bad relay or have you checked the earths are good?

sicvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Executive
Have you put a multimeter on the battery ect. to actually see what's goin on?