Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

9 Speed Auto

Panzer23

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS Liftback 3.6
Does the 9 speed auto, in both the 2 Lt & 3.6, start in 1st or 2nd gear when in drive?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Does the 9 speed auto, in both the 2 Lt & 3.6, start in 1st or 2nd gear when in drive?

It should start in 1st.

try this with the 4cyl. drive the car around 20-30 Km/h then hit the accelerator to the floor and release and then do it again holding to the floor. Very interesting!

Panzer23

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS Liftback 3.6
Thanks Anthony121. I'm looking to buy a V6. It would be a waste if it didn't start in first.

VFRDLN

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB CalaisV Tourer
It should start in 1st.

try this with the 4cyl. drive the car around 20-30 Km/h then hit the accelerator to the floor and release and then do it again holding to the floor. Very interesting!
For us V6 owner's what happens? Does the trans go into fail safe or thump hard? Or does the dash light up with a message asking WTF are you doing?

VFRDLN

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB CalaisV Tourer
Checked mine this morning and can report it took of in 1st when cold but didn't check after that. Modern autos will skip gears though at times because it is not efficient to go through every ratio every time. If you have no load in the car 1st probably isn't required most of the time. While driving it is hard to count the shifts as they are seamless at times. If using the flappy paddles you will never be able to change better than the computer and they are useless unless you want to hold a particular gear for whatever reason. If you use the paddles there is a shift arrow that tells you what gear to select and there is no way you can keep up with it.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
For us V6 owner's what happens? Does the trans go into fail safe or thump hard? Or does the dash light up with a message asking WTF are you doing?

I don't know know if the V6 does it. Can't remember trying it in a V6.