Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

90kms steering shakes

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
on the freeway and going dead straight line, the steering vibrates at 90km p/hr to 100kms p/hr

recently got 2 new front tyres.....and went back asked them to re-balance and re-align it cos their first attempt was crap job (goodyear totness South Australia )

have also put new rotors and pads on all four wheels

do i need to get tyres balanced again?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14

Don't need a rebalance for rotors and pads.

Easy way to check if it's balancing is to put the rear wheels on the front or get a known good pair from another car.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Sounds like you have replaced the normal serviceable items,
but didn’t resolve the issue.
Maybe a -
Faulty bush,
Or
A Hub. (Being the age of car and if they haven’t already replaced, possible it’s time they may need replacing).

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Buggered shock absorbers.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Has the shake just started since the tyres were replaced or when the rotors were done? Or were they done at the same time?

Generally speaking, shaking is caused by out of balance tyres.....Out of balance could mean they weren't balanced properly, or the tyre has too much up and down movement.....

My suggestion is go back to Goodyear Totness and get them re-balanced or alternatively go across the road to Adelaide Hills 4X4 and get them to balance them or a 5 minute drive down the road to Bob Jane for the balance....Ask them to check for up and down movement when balancing too :)

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
on the freeway and going dead straight line, the steering vibrates at 90km p/hr to 100kms p/hr

recently got 2 new front tyres.....and went back asked them to re-balance and re-align it cos their first attempt was crap job (goodyear totness South Australia )

waste of time if already balanced twice
any vibration and steering wheel shake can be from any front worn bushes, and as mentioned the front wheel hubs.
Possible thing could be faulty new tyres not inround/steel belt or dodgy tyre wall, it does happen with new tyres and noticeable with high pressure and speed.
Brakes and pads when applied normally cause shaking and not vibration if there is any issue.

Firstly go back and speak to goodyear about issue and to check tyres if its a manufacturer:s fault, if your not happy with their response then You need to get front end checked, go see City Discount Tyres opposite the mower centre on adelaide road, they are quite good with older cars, been going there for years when we lived at wistow or you could try Petra Motors next to childcare centre on main road littlehampton, they both together for clients.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
well when i went back i said the alignment u did was no good can you do it again, and the balance also seems sketchy

so who knows if he checked the balance cos the alignment seems just ok

the car was fine before all this work, and the tyres i had were just randoms from a set of mags i bought off gumtree, and they were nice as

great suggestions "achoo" will shop around, only went to goodyear cos they were able to serve me on that very day, city discounts were booked for 2 days shouldve waited

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Most common cause of steering vibration specifically in a speed range is wheel balance. The important factor here is what wheels are they? Hubcentric (genuine) and lugcentric (aftermarket) wheels have two completely different balancing methods

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
We’re they VE wheels pre-drilled ?