Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

90kms steering shakes

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
This is why you have finger or hub balancing and never the twain shall meet. Finger balance a hubcentric wheel and it will vibrate. Hub balance a lugcentric wheel and it will vibrate. On the balancer it will look million bucks every time.

I went through hell getting the rims in my profile pic balanced

To this day, I still prefer on car balancing, but strangely enough on car balancers are few and far between which is a damn shame....

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Agreed. They must be expensive units

Far from it...They are only suited to rear wheel drive vehicles and with the market moving well into the FWD/AWD/4WD market, it renders them useless....

1620428295405.png

Here's the unit I learnt to use....You might be able to tell, it is very very basic and very accurate....I think another reason they have gone out of "flavour" as such is the sales speech used with the modern balancer being the bees knees....

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
so took the new wheels off the front to put them on the back and will test if the vibration is gone today

however in the meantime, i noticed there is some play in the side to side shake of the wheel (testing the hub) and it looks to me that the play is in the steering tie rod end....to the point that the rod is too thin for the hole and the hub just rocks back n forth

does this happen with tie rod ends, the rod smashes on the inside or something and causes play

also started car and the ignition decided to not spring back after cranking, and the causes the starter to become overwhelmed?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
so took the new wheels off the front to put them on the back and will test if the vibration is gone today

however in the meantime, i noticed there is some play in the side to side shake of the wheel (testing the hub) and it looks to me that the play is in the steering tie rod end....to the point that the rod is too thin for the hole and the hub just rocks back n forth

does this happen with tie rod ends, the rod smashes on the inside or something and causes play

also started car and the ignition decided to not spring back after cranking, and the causes the starter to become overwhelmed?
Tie rod ends are not expensive but if you are going to change them yourself make sure you get the correct ones as I know there are 12 mm and 14 mm on the early Vz but no idea on VY.
I know this because I have a pair of 12 mm ends sitting on the shelf and my rack ends are 14 mm as is the new spare rack I have.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
You need to go top to bottom testing the hub, it's not unusual for a bit of side to side play, just depends how much

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
turns out the tie rods ends were shot, i put 2 new ones on yesterday the old ones were shockingly loose.

cant believe goodyear mount barker went ahead and aligned the car with so much play in the tie rod ends. fortunately i marked the location of the locking nut andd the alignment was ok.

still havent tested if vibration at 90kms is gone yet. gotta fix my ignition switch today first.

the hub top to bottom was good no play