Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

91 vn v6, fresh rebiuld, idle and engine light problems

OUTLRD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
hi
I have a 91 VN V6 manual wagon, just done a rebuild on the motor with stage 2 cam and chip by crow cams... absolutely everything in the motor is new from bottom end to top. new injectors and o2 sensor.
The problem I'm having is when i start it, runs and idles as it should, as i take off the engine light comes on, when i back off the throttle while still in gear, for example 100km/h to 80km/h the light turns off. come back on throttle and it comes back on. car seems to run fine, no noticeable power loss. now after the car has warmed up a bit, it wont return to idle when i pull the clutch in or out of gear. i have to keep tapping the throttle to keep it running. doing my head in, literally changing part by part and cant find the problem. if anyone could help? cheers

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
grab a paper clip and do a fault code check and see why the cel is coming on

OUTLRD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
grab a paper clip and do a fault code check and see why the cel is coming on

yer just done that, came up 22, 24, and 45... unsure on what to change for 24?

OUTLRD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
never mind, its the speed sensor. but 22 the tps and 45 the o2 sensor shouldn't come up, because I've changed them.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
dissconect battery to reset error codes and see if the codes come back

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Doesn't the oxy sensor earth through the exhaust? The mating surfaces may need a file or a sand.

kilebantick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VN Calais 1989
The 1 wire oxygen sensor grounds through the exhaust, the 2 wire grounds through the engine ground (as far as I know). If it's a 1 wire, file back thread surrounds (or just roughen it up a little bit).

Have you tried a different ECU? More common than not they cause issues such as these.

OUTLRD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
hey, late update... but yer, everything is running well now, changed the throttle body and the sensors in it, put new injectors and o2 sensor. put a new speed sensor in, but the fault code still remains the same... unsure what to do now, the speedo still works, but after a bit of driving the engine light comes on and stays on. and the same code 24 is still read after. the car also sounds like it runs different when the engine light is on. any ideas?

OUTLRD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
hey, late update... but yer, everything is running well now, changed the throttle body and the sensors in it, put new injectors and o2 sensor. put a new speed sensor in, but the fault code still remains the same... unsure what to do now, the speedo still works, but after a bit of driving the engine light comes on and stays on. and the same code 24 is still read after. the car also sounds like it runs different when the engine light is on. any ideas?