Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'92 MX83 Cressida Grande

BOOST666

Classic not plastic
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
'79 VB SL/E 253, VY SS II
I know some of you are fans of cars from the land of the rising sun, so thought I'd share my latest project.

Picked up this totally stock grandpa spec Cressie, I'm 3rd owner, always wanted one of these and found this at the right price, tidy as even though I haven't had time to detail it yet.

1992 Toyota Cressida Grande 166000kms
Engine: stock 7MGE
Exhaust: stock
Trans: stock auto
Diff: stock 3.9:1 LSD
Suspension: Monster truck
Brakes: stock
Power: lol

Future mods:
1st thing... more low in the way of Bilstein coil overs, double din dvd unit, dark tint, nice wheels (17s), later on down the track it will get a 1JZGTE conversion.

2yzcv82.jpg

29espj5.jpg

8vqkg1.jpg

fm3y8g.jpg

jsilc8.jpg

w6r0js.jpg

a7a6g.jpg

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
done a head gasket yet?
Hmmm that's what i think whenever i see one of these but hey thats why you bin the engine and chuck in a 1J/2J or LS1? :) .But hey nice pick up very clean defiantly a stock granpa spec great base to start with.

BOOST666

Classic not plastic
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Head gasket seems ok, but I do have problems with another type of leak. I need to have it drivable while I source the bits for my conversion, so would like to get this sorted.
Theres spark plugs in there somewhere.
m7xhtv.jpg

Got it cleaned up, I thought it was coming from the 14mm hex plugs so I re-sealed them.
24ccpea.jpg

14o96bq.jpg

Turns out I was wrong, the first section has half filled with oil again after test driving, next I will try replacing cam cover gaskets and see if that's the issue.

Decided to change the plugs and leads, this bastard snapped off just below the hex, leaving the threaded section in the head.
255j7v6.jpg

Soaked the remains in rost off and hit it with an easy out, I got lucky.
5u1kzp.jpg

Put my borescope in there when I was done to check for debris, rigged up a flexible drinking straw to my garage vac and gave it a good clean out.

Some of you may be familiar with these engines, any other ideas on where this oil leak is coming from?

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
You got real lucky with that plug could have been a disaster.

they do make awesome sleepers with a 1j/2j swap and i actually like the cressida reminds me of the 929 i had.

For leaks i would run it and watch it see if you can pick where its coming from seems like a lot of oil for a gasket leak if it fill up that quick

BOOST666

Classic not plastic
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
You got real lucky with that plug could have been a disaster.

they do make awesome sleepers with a 1j/2j swap and i actually like the cressida reminds me of the 929 i had.

For leaks i would run it and watch it see if you can pick where its coming from seems like a lot of oil for a gasket leak if it fill up that quick
True, bad gasket and blocked pcv could produce this sort of leak. I let it sit and run for about 10 mins with no sign of leaks, after a drive and being put under load it reappeared.

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
Yeah change them cam cover gaskets if your strapped for $$$ use some gasket goo stuff you know the horrible orange/black stuff. Great work with the spark plug too also i noticed you have a proper hand brake too no foot brake crap.

BOOST666

Classic not plastic
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
I picked up new gaskets this arvo, will fit them tomorrow. Plus, I own 2 Commodores, I have a well stocked supply of RTV silicon and permatex aviation sealant lol