Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

92 VP Executive Wagon - only driver door unlocks

Anna H

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP Executive Station Wagon
First timer here. Sorry it’s a bit long...

Before I decide whether to fix the transmission on my car, I need to figure out why I can’t get any doors open apart from the driver’s door. I don’t have remote keys, manual unlocking only. Even from inside the door I can’t pull up the locks.
It’s been off the road for 2 years but I need it now, and there’s no point getting the car back on the road if nobody else can get in or out of it.
Also looking at getting rid of it at some point so needs to be fixed. On that note, is there any sale value in a 92 VP Executive?

Thank you for reading. I’ll mention I’m fairly clueless so nothing too technical please. Just looking to narrow down potential issues so I don’t get ripped off at mechanics or wreckers. Again...

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I haven't got manual locks, but I'd remove the door internal trim panel and have a look at the lock control rods- there's one on the lock cylinder, one on the push to lock button and one to the door handle. The control rods connect these items to the door lock. Make sure they're present and working freely.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I'd remove the door internal trim panel and have a look
Got any tips for removing the door trim when the door will not open?

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Got any tips for removing the door trim when the door will not open?
Good point. If 3 locks have seized up in 2 years it's more than corrosion and parts decaying.
Anna H- are you sure the other 3 locks haven't been deadlocked with a key? I don't have manual locks so I'm not sure if that is possible.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Good point. If 3 locks have seized up in 2 years it's more than corrosion and parts decaying.
Anna H- are you sure the other 3 locks haven't been deadlocked with a key? I don't have manual locks so I'm not sure if that is possible.
Hi Anna, Mike's question is pointing in the right direction. It sounds to me as if the locks are in the deadlocked mode. On my VP I can deadlock all doors by turning the driver's doorlock to the horizontal position. With this done the locks cannot be lifted to unlock.
It's actually quite a useful security feature as you can leave windows open (in the summer) and the doors remain locked even if someone reaches in and tries to lift a lock. When we had a VT we could deadlock the doors by pressing the lock button a 2nd time on the remote unit.
It sounds like it is frozen in the deadlocked position because the problem remains even when the driver's door is unlocked. I suggest repeatedly deadlocking and unlocking the driver's door manually in the hope that this will unfreeze the deadlocked mode and allow the other doors to unlock. Also try to operate the passenger side door lock. The car cannot be deadlocked from that side.
The central locking on my car generally works but has some strange quirks but has benefitted from using spray lubrication when I've had door skins off. When some doors start to not lock when they should it seems to re-set them if I lock and unlock from the passenger side door a few times. Strange. Often when I lock the doors from the passenger side the locks all pop straight back up but then they stay down when I lock them a 2nd time. Again strange.
You can at least get the driver's door skin off as that door will open and the problem is probably in that door even though it's the other doors that won't unlock but I suggest you persist with the locking and unlocking for a while (without forcing anything too hard) before you resort to pulling things apart.
Please keep us posted on your efforts.