Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

92 vq caprice oil level dropping and smoke coming from under the engine

wogboy4708

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq caprice
Hi ive got the a 92 vq caprice 5ltr and just recently there has been white smoke coming from under the car and im guessing b behind the engine after a minute of running..i pull up at the traffic lights just neer my place and it smokes everytime..only there and only after a few minutes of running..i checked the oil and it was only half full...i toped it up to full and its still smoking..i checked oil a few days later and it had lost a quater of what i toped up..theres no oil dropping onto the road.. anyone know what this is and what i can do about it ??

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
There is a few possibilities here.

Will start from simplest and easiest to worst case senario:

1. Bad rocker cover gasket leaking oil down on to the exhaust etc

2. Bad inlet manifold gasket leaking oil (unlikely but I have seen it in a few cases before)

3. bad rear main seal/sump gasket leaking onto the exhaust or other hot parts of the car (this is most likely with the 5L)

Basically you should degrease any oil leaks underneath the car, start it and watch for where the oil starts to pool again....then you know where your leak is.....I would say it's something dropping on the exhaust as that explains why your smoke is only appearing after the car gets hot.

wogboy4708

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq caprice
Thanks mate ill get onto it.. Are either of these options expensive to fix ?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Thanks mate ill get onto it.. Are either of these options expensive to fix ?

Rocker cover gaskets are only around $20

Inlet Gaskets are around $45 (but are a couple of hundred to fit)

Sump & Rear main seal is an engine out job so it depends how much you value the car.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Also the oil pressure switch can develop a leak which sprays oil around but you should be able to see it with engine running/bonnet up.