Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

93 Senator cuts out, then runs perfect after 2mins

Podja

Reaction score
Members Ride
64 EH ute
Hi everyone, Ive got a 64 EH ute with a 93 VR Senator engine fitted. Has been running fine for years however everytime i drive it, it starts first turn, runs & idles fine. Then when i drive it she has a cough then stops all within the first 2 or 3 ks. It WILL NOT start again no matter how many times it turns over. The only remidy ive found is letting is sit for 3 to 5 minutes and it starts every time and it will go all day. Has anyone some thoughts on what may be the cause?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Crank angle sensor possibly ?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Would it have a crank sensor if its a V8? Wouldn't it be a problem within the dizzy?

Podja

Reaction score
Members Ride
64 EH ute
Cheers, that has been a thought. The problem happens religiously every time i drive within the first few k's then its fine. Its got ICE ignition and had the ignition module replaced not so long ago. There is a strong smell of fuel sometimes but only when its warmed right up but still drives fine. Ive left it overnight a few times at my local mechanics to see if he can get a code but of course it doesnt do it....very frustrating!!!

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Would it have a crank sensor if its a V8? Wouldn't it be a problem within the dizzy?

Crank angle sensor = on 5.0 lt = hall effect sensor in dizzy, can change out = new bits at jaycar , but if really old / long time since changed/ never = worth spending = new dizzy = somewhere like repco.
Way less likely coil , or ignition module ( although this usually just gives up the the ghost and that's it) .= is worth getting a spare and carring it in the boot with a 10 mill spanner to change

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Does sound like an HES problem, although mostly they are heat related, and can be restarted once the engine has cooled down. That doesn't seem to apply in your case but could do so if the HES condition gets worse. I presume you have checked to make sure that your ignition lead at the distributor and coil are nice and tight, likewise your battery terminals.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Sorry it was the HES I was thinking of, but called it by the most common name used nowadays I guess.

Last edited:

Podja

Reaction score
Members Ride
64 EH ute
Thanks guys, ill look at replacing the HES/dizzy after going over everything for something loose. Cheers to you all for your input-very helpful !!!!

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I had the same problem with a 202 in a 1970 land rover. I found a very frayed power wire on the back of the alternator. Once I fixed that wire, it ran normally again.
Maybe have a good look at your alternator