Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

94' remove metal speaker brackets and mount 6x9's to the parcel shelf alone

Rollerbot

Reaction score
Members Ride
2021 Calais V 6.0
hey guys just wondering if it is possible to do this or would the parcel shelf have a negative effect on the sound quality, vibrate etc. My friend insists proping the speaker up on a piece of cutout wood above the parcel shelf to fit the speaker through the original 6" metal speaker hole, to me it just seems like alot of trouble to go to and having the 6x9 speakers sit above the parcel shelf would be an eye sore. but what are your thoughts?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
The car will be unroadworthy if you cut the metal to fit a bigger speaker in, when it gets a canary the metal will have to be welded back in (probably cheaper to buy another car at this point than pay someone to fix it).
But honestly stick a 10-12" sub in the boot, only reason you'd use 6x9's is the extra bass over a 6", there's no mid-high range advantage to them.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 6 Litre, VZ SV6
I've had 6x9s in for years, never been questioned. It really just depends how much of a cop magnet you are.

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Speakers are heavy and dangerous in a crash.

Bolt them to the metal brackets with a custom spacer.

Your mate is right.

I use splits in the same spot.