Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'94 VR Berlina (GTS/Clubsport Mockup)

Natrix

d[no0b]b
Reaction score
Website
www.lanatelandscapes.com.au
Members Ride
94 VR Berlina, 02 BA XLS SSB, 93 ED Fairmont Wgn
Howdy all, I'm new to JC and thought I would introduce myself and my ride(s).

The name's Nate, I'm 24, have lived in many places throughout Melbourne over my life, but currently residing (permenantly this time, I hope) in Mornington VIC.

I've been driving for 13 years (legally for about 4 of them), up until now, despite always considering myself as a Holden fan, have never actually owned one.

The cars I have owned, over the past 8 years are as follows: '79 TE Cortina 6cyl, '94 ED Falcon GLi, '89 Toyota Carib (Corolla SR5 Import), '01 AUII Cab-Chassis.
At current, I own: '02 BA XLS SSB (Work Rig), '93 ED Fairmont Wagon (Money Pit), '05 Toyota Camry Altise (Other half's Car).

With my latest addition being a '94 VR Berlina (Factory Dual Fuel) - Lowered (I'm assuming illegally), GTS front bar, Clubby rear bar, side skirts, spoiler, and 17" Alloys (Need help identifying what they are) - Sporting a whole heap of RWC items and annoying issues. (Purchased 26/11/12)

Upon picking the car up for $600 - I took it down for a "Pre-purchase check" at Mornington Motors for $99 saving myself about $100 on an actual RWC test, being handed a list a mile long, with items such as this:

I picked up another headlining the same day I picked the car up and fitted it at my bro's around the corner from where I bought it before I had him drive the car back to my joint. From memory, was about $37 at Jolly's in Dandenong.

RHF Doors Seal
RHF Seat Loose (Rail broken, will weld up)
Adjust H/Brake
D/Belt Worn
Gas Leak (I'll take it down to AGC in Carrum Downs for a check over and Dyno Tune later on down the track)
W/Screen (Neighbour will do it for $140)
Dash Lights Out (Replaced cluster $51 at Jolly's Dandenong)
Secure Batt & Tighten Terminals (I had battery out of my Fairmont in it, put original back in that fits to the support and will replace terminals)
Front Struts Failed Bounce Test (I thought as much, explains why it's sitting so friggin' low in the front end)
Inhibitor Switch Operations (Inhibitor switch is fine - I'll explain later in the list)
Too Low (It's above 100mm, Kiss My A$$!)
Secure Front Bar (I'll pull both bars off and reglass where needed)
Engine Mounts x2 (This is half the reason the inhibitor switch seems to be buggered)
Caster Bushes x2 (In-Arm)
Caster Bushes (In K-Frame)
Secure Spare & Boot Won't Stay Up (I'll put a motorbike harness strap to hold the spare in and I'll replace the struts with actual spoilered struts)
Front Inner C/Arm Bushes x2
Untwist Rack Boots
Trans Mount Collapsed (Well, no wonder the inhibitor switch isn't working, the engine and transmounts being screwed have put the linkages out of whack!)
Tyres x4 (What am I, an idiot? Too obvious)
Rear Sway Bar Rubbers Split
All Rear C/Arm Bushes U/S
Replace Extension Housing Seal
Trans Pan Clean & Inspect + Clean all underside of car
Tighten Center Bearing Mount Bolts
Resolve Exhaust Leak & Tighten Clamps (I'll be pulling the whole thing out and replacing gaskets and fitting the CORRECT centre muffler anyway)
Aerial Sharp Edge (They'll pick anything these days it seems!)
Tighten all bolts underside of vehicle
Will not run on petrol, runs rough on gas (I'm pretty sure the pumps flucked)
Brake Pedal Spongy (It's funny, they say this, but don't mention the brake pads at all in the list! The pedals spongy because the rotors and pads are F&$%ED!)
Lube all windows - rear driver side not working (Yeah, I don't know why the windows not working yet)
RHF Channel Rubber Comes Adrift (WTF is the channel rubber?!)
Wipers x2
Secure Centre Console (Yeah, I'll probably need to replace this bit!)
Tighten LHF Seat
Clean Up RHF Seat Belt
LHF Parker Globe Blown

Note: Rack, LHF Wheel Bearing & Both Uni's have play.

So all up, I've worked out with all of the parts I need to buy, new & at the wreckers, I'm up for somewhere around $1,000 - $1,200. Not including RWC, F.E.A & Tyres. Luckily I get labour for nothing. It's not what you know, it's who you know.

Here's the link to the Photobucket album I've made - I'm working out how to upload an album on here?
94 VR Berlina GTS Clubsport Mock Photos by Natrix_VR | Photobucket

The body's not the best, but my first trade leaving high school when I was 15 was as a Spray Painter/Panel Beater. I'm pretty sure I can get it looking shmicko again!

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,
Nate.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Welcome Nate

Looks good mate,

I would get rid of the 215 badge, thats just wanky with a V6 in there.

Maybe try and find some HSV wheels for it to really make it look the part (I have a mock up too, see my signature) and I have gone from aftermarket wheels to VR Clubby wheels, made a huge difference.

Also VT clear side indicators would make the sides of the car look much cleaner.

Keep it up :p

Natrix

d[no0b]b
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Yeah, I pissed myself when I saw the 215i badge on the arse end, but nothing a heat gun and a razor blade won't take off.
I know these wheels are aftermarket, but I'm actually quite fond of them. I will probably go VT clear side indicators aswell.

I'm sure this would have definitely looked the part a LONG time ago, but it's been driven into the ground. Original km's are at about 450k.

Upon further inspection I've found that some of the wiring under the steering colum has been screwed with, along with some of the wiring around the ECU.
I don't know anything about wiring so I'm not too sure where to go with it, but at current the Immobiliser doesn't work, I can start the car with a generic metal, non-transponder wave key (which shouldn't be so!) and the original VR Key doesn't work the central locking as it doesn't have any codes in it, thus isn't paired to the BCM. I changed the MEMCAL chip, but hasn't changed a darn thing, so obviously not the VATS having been disabled.

I would consider changing the BCM, but I'm having great difficulty finding a VR Berlina BCM anywhere. I want to keep the electric windows working!

I'm more than happy to deal with the mechanical, body and RWC issues. But when it comes to electrics and wiring. It puts me off somewhat! I don't have any Auto Elecci mates so it'll cost me an arm, leg and possibly my other half to get it all fixed!

*sigh* what to do.. what to do..

backjansz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Looks good. Looking forward to seeing the end result. Good luck mate.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Can't really upload an album, but if you copy the "IMG" code on photobucket and paste they will show up no problems
Like so
IMG_0966.jpg

Looks good by the way. You can get clear crystal style side indicators (my ones) which look better than the VT ones imo as well, and rims are decent too I think

Natrix

d[no0b]b
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Looks good. Looking forward to seeing the end result. Good luck mate.

Yeah, the VR has been put on the back burner for now, is going to cost me too much to put on the road as it is now, without fixing the body, etc.
So I'll work on it down the track. But the plan for it at the moment is to strip it back to nothing, I'll block it back and fix the body and respray it the original Sherbrook Green, the colour has quite grown on me, and the original VR GTS came out in Sherbrook green, so will help give me the authentic GTS look. I'll pull the interior out of a VR/VS Statesman (apart from dash), and if I can pick up a VR/VS Statesman with an interior that's still in good nick and a V8 that still has some good life left in it, it'll be a good starting point for me. But, the work probably won't start for another 6 months, I need to find myself a new job, business has been too slow this financial year, got 4 kids to support!

For the moment, to get me around so I can flog the ED Fairmont off, I've picked up a VSII Acclaim that needs bugger all work.

Thread: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vr-vs/209808-nates-vsii-acclaim.html