Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

94 VR S Pack Ute Questions: speed alert, vibrations through brake

drizzlebut

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Wagon
Hi guys,

I've recently bought a 94 VS ute S pack which doesn't have the speed alert in the dash, is there a plug for one behind the dash? I'm not keen on cutting a hole to try find out just yet.

Also, when I brake there is a shuddering/vibration that comes through the pedal and the auto lever also vibrates. Was just wondering if anyone had any clues as to what it could be?

Cheers

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
1. just carefully remove your dash fascia to see if the loom is behind it... (if it is, it will be tucked up and taped out of the way, so look carefully)
2. it occurs when you brake... it's your brakes.... you most likely have warped discs due to the being overheated or becoming too thin then overheating... if you JUST bought the car, this is a ROADWORTHY issue and should have been dealt with by the person selling it to you. Unless you bought it without a roadworthy??

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
it all depends on the loom if you have the plug or not.

it will be a black rectangle that looks like this
(from another thread)
speedplug.jpg

pretty much thats off a level 2 loom
level 1 i do not think has it.
not sure about level 3 looms

however thanks to greenvn i was able to get a patch loom off him that can run all levels off dash. and has all the plugs (including for the speed alert)

drizzlebut

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Wagon
1. just carefully remove your dash fascia to see if the loom is behind it... (if it is, it will be tucked up and taped out of the way, so look carefully)
2. it occurs when you brake... it's your brakes.... you most likely have warped discs due to the being overheated or becoming too thin then overheating... if you JUST bought the car, this is a ROADWORTHY issue and should have been dealt with by the person selling it to you. Unless you bought it without a roadworthy??

Being from SA we don't need roadworthys to sell a car. Not even registration. The dealer is picking it up witin the next couple of days to put a new front left tyre on coz they think that's the problem, but I'm planning on buying slotted discs to a) improve braking and b) hopefully solve the problem.

Cheers for your help guys.
And for the pic!

mrflibbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive Wagon
lol, no roadworthies in adelaide you can register anything here!
definately sound like a brake issue, you may be able to get the rotors machined and new pads, but if the rotors are getting close to minimum thickness i would replace them anyway.
i know nothing about the plug for the speed alert though!