Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

95 Manta starting issue

Matthew Anderson

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 Manta
Hey fellas,
I've got a 95 manta, it's now on it's 3rd fuel pump. Changed the last one 2 months ago, started fine but no good now, and fuel is not too bad, not new, but fine. It has the HSV alarm, turn it on it flashes lights as if it's an immobiliser problem, but turning it off makes no difference. Its getting power to the fuel pump when first tuned on and cranking. My 95 ss has never had these problems at all, any ideas to point me in the right direction because I'm at a loss.
Cheers,
Matt.

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
So am I, all I can think of after trying to come with terms of your writing is your alarm system isn't switching off allowing power to flow to your coil packs, could be a stuffed relay on your alarm wiring, don't know how they fitted it up. Test if your getting spark while cranking.

Matthew Anderson

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 Manta
Yeah mate got spark. Changed that spark box behind the air box with my ss this morning and nothing. Without gauges on it the fuel lines are tight. And it looks like a proper holden alarm. And when switched off with the alarm key in the top of the siren, the lights don't flash so i think it cuts it out completely. No flash codes pointing me in any direction. It's still just got me beat.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah mate got spark. Changed that spark box behind the air box with my ss this morning and nothing. Without gauges on it the fuel lines are tight. And it looks like a proper holden alarm. And when switched off with the alarm key in the top of the siren, the lights don't flash so i think it cuts it out completely. No flash codes pointing me in any direction. It's still just got me beat.
If your getting spark then you have a fuel or injector issue, test if your injectors are getting 12v when ignition is turned in the on position it should have 12v continually on one wire, test fuel pressure, change over the fuel relay or try jumping it. cas is another thing. I think the alarm stays active your only turning the siren off. The Alarm must be stopping either earth to the fuel pump or cutting out the pulse wire or 12v to the injectors, hard to diagnose without seeing it. Have you looked at all your fuses including those big ones. Also the slip ring around your ignition is what tells your bcm to activate earth so check if that's ok and has good contact to your fob.
Also look at your door light on and off pin maybe its keeping the alarm on.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Sounds like you have an upgrade alarm installed, and the key on the siren should certainly turn the alarm off (not just the siren). The issue with these alarms is that they use a rechargeable battery to power the siren in the event that the alarm is activated without full battery power being available. These rechargeable batteries fail over time and can corrode the alarm wiring if their contents leak. To test this out, leave the siren alarm key in the active position and disconnect the main battery earth cable. You can determine the status of the rechargeable battery by the volume of the siren (or lack thereof).

But getting back to your fuel pump, what brand of pump are you purchasing?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
What brand is the after market alarm? does it have a model number? Depending on the brand will determine if turning off the siren completely shut off the alarm system, the back up battery is so thieves just cant disconnect the battery to shut it off, if you remove your battery the alarm will go off unless you turn the key, when the battery starts to die it starts chirping well that's how mine works, I only have 2 wires to my siren nothing telling the system to shut down.

Matthew Anderson

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 Manta
Sounds like you have an upgrade alarm installed, and the key on the siren should certainly turn the alarm off (not just the siren). The issue with these alarms is that they use a rechargeable battery to power the siren in the event that the alarm is activated without full battery power being available. These rechargeable batteries fail over time and can corrode the alarm wiring if their contents leak. To test this out, leave the siren alarm key in the active position and disconnect the main battery earth cable. You can determine the status of the rechargeable battery by the volume of the siren (or lack thereof).

But getting back to your fuel pump, what brand of pump are you purchasing?

The last 2 have been vdo pumps

Matthew Anderson

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 Manta
Thanks for all your ideas fellas. The dizzy was probably going to be the next check as fun as that is.
Not sure on alarm model yet. I'll check it out. Frustrating after changing the last 2 pumps it started straight away like they normally do. All it's done is sit there for a month. Both pumps wouldn't have pumped 10 litres. With the last one I even put that f10 stuff in the fuel to stop it from happening again.