Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

95 v 98 Tune

18vDrill_SkinOnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SV6 Comm / 22 Ford Mustang 5.0l
Haha yeah it was a bit hectic. In honesty I’ve never driven something behaving like that so was kinda going between am I getting home, to if I get to at least X then I can get a bus/train home lol.

Yeah I think it was as the sump was dropped too. The water and oil pumps were also replaced as well as the timing chain cover as it had a crack in it. So yeah, a bit going on. Drove about 60km this morning and it doesn’t appear to have dropped any more oil which is a relief.

Mate, yeah no point carrying on about it. It’s happened now and just needs to get sorted. No point burning bridges over something that can ultimately be fixed pretty easily.

I’ve gotta stop watching videos of engines which have blown up though. YouTube algorithm trolling me.

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Haha yeah it was a bit hectic. In honesty I’ve never driven something behaving like that so was kinda going between am I getting home, to if I get to at least X then I can get a bus/train home lol.

Yeah I think it was as the sump was dropped too. The water and oil pumps were also replaced as well as the timing chain cover as it had a crack in it. So yeah, a bit going on. Drove about 60km this morning and it doesn’t appear to have dropped any more oil which is a relief.

Mate, yeah no point carrying on about it. It’s happened now and just needs to get sorted. No point burning bridges over something that can ultimately be fixed pretty easily.

I’ve gotta stop watching videos of engines which have blown up though. YouTube algorithm trolling me.
I hope that it did not drop more oil because there was none left in it? Any idea where it was coming from, sump, rear main seal? YouTube kicking you while you down!

I hope it is an easy fix for you, my issues seem fairly trivial compared to yours but it could just be a little thing here or there, even small leaks look big because of the outcome of the leaking.

18vDrill_SkinOnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, that’s true. 7 hours doing 120 will probably make a small problem look huge. I get the impression from feeling around that it’s on the passenger side somewhere near the timing chain cover, but can’t pinpoint where. Possibly the sump. Probably needs to go up on a hoist, or come out imo. When it happened it sprayed into the passenger side wheel well, on the rim, and around that general area. The bottom of the power steering reservoir also was coated with oil. Gonna be a big cleanup lol.

I’ve checked the oil and it’s a bit over half to 3/4 full. If I could find the source I’d just gap it up with gasket maker until I come back down.

Once it gets fixed along with the misfiring it’ll actually be a pretty good driver. Sounds great, heaps of torque. Great foundation for whatever else is to come. The main thing which worries me is driving it around with all the misfiring and shuddering might harm the engine.

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Yeah, that’s true. 7 hours doing 120 will probably make a small problem look huge. I get the impression from feeling around that it’s on the passenger side somewhere near the timing chain cover, but can’t pinpoint where. Possibly the sump. Probably needs to go up on a hoist, or come out imo. When it happened it sprayed into the passenger side wheel well, on the rim, and around that general area. The bottom of the power steering reservoir also was coated with oil. Gonna be a big cleanup lol.

I’ve checked the oil and it’s a bit over half to 3/4 full. If I could find the source I’d just gap it up with gasket maker until I come back down.

Once it gets fixed along with the misfiring it’ll actually be a pretty good driver. Sounds great, heaps of torque. Great foundation for whatever else is to come. The main thing which worries me is driving it around with all the misfiring and shuddering might harm the engine.
I wonder if they used gaskets or gasket maker when putting it back together and maybe there is a gap in it? I think I saw some blue material on mine which I assume is gasket maker?

I don't know enough about these cars and engines to know if driving them when out of tune is detrimental long term or not.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I don't know enough about these cars and engines to know if driving them when out of tune is detrimental long term or not.
shouldnt be any worse then someone putting on full exhaust and intake and leaving stock tune in it

18vDrill_SkinOnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
shouldnt be any worse then someone putting on full exhaust and intake and leaving stock tune in it

what about if it's misfiring on cylinders 1,3,5 - then shuddering, power loss etc. until it clears itself via a hard rev.

this is basically how i'm driving around at the moment, in city traffic its an absolute cnt of a thing now because all i keep hearing is the "ding ding ding" and check engine light coming on each time it happens. Like every time you slow down it's happening.
I wonder if they used gaskets or gasket maker when putting it back together and maybe there is a gap in it? I think I saw some blue material on mine which I assume is gasket maker?

That's probably the case, I can see that coolant has bled through some of the sealant around the timing chain cover, and the oil, well I'll have another look this week sometime and try to locate it but the crossmember underneath the engine gets in the way of where I think it's coming from. Checking this morning though it appears there is no more oil leaking. I drove about 150km yesterday and it doesn't appear that throughout that driving there is any more oil leaking. Checked the oil, it remains unchanged so really have no idea what to think....

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
what about if it's misfiring on cylinders 1,3,5 - then shuddering, power loss etc. until it clears itself via a hard rev.

this is basically how i'm driving around at the moment, in city traffic its an absolute cnt of a thing now because all i keep hearing is the "ding ding ding" and check engine light coming on each time it happens. Like every time you slow down it's happening.

That's probably the case, I can see that coolant has bled through some of the sealant around the timing chain cover, and the oil, well I'll have another look this week sometime and try to locate it but the crossmember underneath the engine gets in the way of where I think it's coming from. Checking this morning though it appears there is no more oil leaking. I drove about 150km yesterday and it doesn't appear that throughout that driving there is any more oil leaking. Checked the oil, it remains unchanged so really have no idea what to think....
Once it is sorted I would be really curious to know what the issues were. At least you have some good news with no more oil leaks

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85

would be odd for a tune to cause a misfire, thats more mechanical disruption and if it were tune related it wouldnt clear itself after a rev as it wouldnt change any settings, if u have a whole bank showing mis id look at something going on with that bank, power loss sounds like its more involved just a mis gets recorded but to cause a reduced power is like something alse or the bank is loosing spark/injectors intermittently, what codes are u getting ?

18vDrill_SkinOnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
Getting p0300, 0301, 0303, 0305

So the random misfire code plus the ones for cylinders 1,3,5.

It’s also occasionally returned cylinder 4 misfire code which clears itself. Then got one which I haven’t seen again about accelerator pedal height or something like that.

The main ones are the ones I mentioned first though

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
How old are the coils?