Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

95 VR Commodore Gear problem

A

aLx_Vr

I have a gear issue and seeking help.

For the past few weeks the car does not want to change gears in time. When i start the car up in the morning, i let it run for a couple or minutes to warm up and when i start driving the gears do not want to change.

For Example:

I have to reach 40Km untill it changes to 2nd gear, 70kms to change to 3rd and 110kms to change to 4th.

This happens when i start the car up in the morning or when i start the car up fast but when i turn the ignion on(but not start the car), i leave it for couple or seconds and i start it, the gears change perfectly.

I have taken it to the mechanic and he thought it was low on oil but that isnt the issue. After that he did a gear box service and could not find anything. He also put a oli lube product and that did not work.

I have read online about something called gearbox flaring?? Just want to know if anyone has experienced this issue before and how can i get it fixed.

Thanks

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Was this problem apparent this time last year when it started to get cold?.....you may also find that a transmission with quite a few Km's on is not as 'tight' as ones that have just been reconditioned - just consider it 'old age'.
I'd trust your mechanic as he appears to have done all that can be done on a slightly worn transmission. To get it back like new will cost at least $2000 fitted for a reco trans!

Cracka

Banned :P
Reaction score
Members Ride
Old Sneakers
Do an error code check, might be something there.

A

aLx_Vr

thanks but i have tried for error codes and nothing has come up. Also this is a recon transmission as i had to replace the old one coz a part broke and lost heaps of oil on the road. :/ Its strange coz when i turn the key and wait for the airbag light to go off, it all works fine. Would it be something to do with electronics to the gear box?

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
that's not flaring. before you buy yet another box check plugs,leads and perhaps even a coil pack.And if that fixes it get that **** additive out of your tranny.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
My VS holds first gear for slightly longer in cold weather when its first driven for the day,it has to be revved a little bit harder than usual to shift up out of first gear.Its not like it has to be revved heaps hard to shift up,its just slightly harder ,say 1000 rpm higher than when its warm .Ive had my VS for 6 years or so now.I service my auto trans every 20,000 k's,and its always done this in cold weather,apart from this happening first up in cold weather,the trans performs perfectly.

A

aLx_Vr

ok, do you think it would be a coil pack issue or plugs? im guess it looks like a electrical issue somehow..