Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

95 VS Auto only has 1 & 2 no 3 & 4 gears

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Sorry but does not sound like A and B shift solenoids to me as they have to switch on and off to select 1st and 2nd, sounds like they are working to me.

wardie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
1st gear - Sol 1-2 is on Sol 2-3 is off
2nd gear - Sol 1-2 is off Sol 2-3 is off
3rd gear - Sol 1-2 is off Sol 2-3 is on
4th gear - Sol 1-2 is on Sol 2-3 is on

Found this in another thread.

This does indicate that the 2-3 solenoid sticking would cause the fault. I'm assuming that a blown solenoid would post a fault code but if it's just stuck then maybe not. Going to try to source a 2nd hand one to try before ordering a new one.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
you can get them for about $35 a pair delivered from US ebay sellers, I know because I just replaced mine.

FYI A and B are identical so you can swap them as a pair if you wish to test it that way.

Be real gentile with the electrical connectors, they get brittle with age in the trans fluid, if you break one they will still connect but I used zip ties to hold them in place (i broke mine being careful) or you can fork out the $100pluss for a new wiring loom...

wardie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
I manged to pick up an old VS box (parts only) for $40 today and a 2nd hand TPS. Pulled out the 1-2 & 3-4 solenoids and metered them - OK. Swapped the TPS and both solenoids. Ended up snapping off the tabs on the plugs even though I was careful as, so had to cable tie them to the solenoid. Took it for a drive - still no 2 - 3 change.

Kind of stumped now. I'm going to pull the 10A transmission fuse tomorrow to see if I can force Limp Home mode (3rd gear). If this works then the 3-4 clutch pack is OK.

Crewmanss 06 - is your autobox that is for sale a 6hhd?

Crewmanss 06

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss Thunder crewman
Have had a few people that are interested

Crewmanss 06

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss Thunder crewman
but who ever gets here first with the cash its theres

wardie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
I'm not going to have the scratch until next weekend at the earliest. I'll see if you still have it then, if not then that's Ok. At least my wife can still drop the junior Tin Lid off at school using 1 & 2.

Crewmanss 06

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss Thunder crewman
Hi well give us a call on thursday or friday if it still here its all yours

wardie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
Got Crewies spare box on Sat and worked all weekend to get it in. Fail!!!!!

Gave up at lunch today still trying to get the prop shaft out. Broke 3 x 14mm ring spanners on one of the 4 bolts holding the rear uni to the diff and eventually rounded off the friggin head. After having a serious dummy spit, I put it all back together again just before the heavy rain hit.

At least I know that it is not the ECU as we tried Crewie's spare with no change to the issue.