Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

95 VS Auto only has 1 & 2 no 3 & 4 gears

wardie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
I've got a 95 VS sedan with 325,000Km on the clock. Today she lost 3rd and 4th gears. No noise no indication of anything wrong it just won't change from 2 to 3. I've tried shifting manually but with no change. I've checked the codes and have nothing but 12 displayed. I reset the computer just in case but no change again. As the ATF was brownish I have changed the oil and filter. While I had the pan off checked the wiring connectors on all solenoids but could not see any issues.

Any ideas? My guess is the 2-3 solenoid but am confused by the lack of codes.

What price range are 2nd hand boxes roughly? A rebuild is out of the price range at this time.

Thanks

Wardie

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

wardie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
Thanks for the price indication, hako.

No Check light. Have checked codes and only get a 12. I have checked the S-10 link and see that they suggest the 3-4 clutches are worn out. I don't know about this as there is no shift into 3rd. I'd assume that if it was the clutches then it would shift and then rev as the clutches slip. In my case I can rev it past 3-4K RPM but it will not change up when I ease off the throttle. Currently we are traveling at 60Kmh @3K rpm

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Maybe the ECU has the fault, this will not set a code. can you substitute a VS auto ecu to test?

To test the box if it is working disconnect the wiring loom, this will send it into limp home mode locking it into 2nd or 3rd via the shift stick.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Maybe the ECU has the fault, this will not set a code. can you substitute a VS auto ecu to test?

To test the box if it is working disconnect the wiring loom, this will send it into limp home mode locking it into 2nd or 3rd via the shift stick.

That sounds like a good test!....but my limited electrical knowledge tells me that the car won't run if the ECU isn't plugged in...but I'll admit I could be wrong???

Edit....I read your post again and again and you must mean to disconnect the wiring loom from the transmission....not the wiring loom from the ECU. Call me dumb.:hit:

wardie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
Unfortunately the wrecker who I approached to borrow/test an ECU basically said "Money up front - No refunds" Even offered to leave wife and kids while I road tested it but he couldn't be swayed.

I'm on the Central Coast, NSW. Does any one have a trusted transmission place that I could discuss the problem with?

Last edited:

Crewmanss 06

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss Thunder crewman
Hi i have a ecu out of a 95 vs if you would like to try it & i,m on the central coast

Crewmanss 06

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss Thunder crewman
Hi Mate are you interested in trying this ECU out if you are send me a txt to 0447688867 cheers

wardie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
Crewmanss 06 - see PM

dalewagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr BT1 5l
hey mate, sounds to me like a shift solinoid, they can still register in some cases to the ecu as per normal, hense no flash codes, $45 dollars off of ebay will buy you a brand spanker.
i would say replace both just so you cant get it wrong. one of those solinoids controls 1st n 2nd, the other 3rd 4th. then 15bux for a tranny sump gasket. also seeings how the atf was burnt, probably wouldnt hurt to change the oil again to give it a good flush out.