Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

95 Vs ecotec engine swap

janxin

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 vs calais
Hey guys just another post about swapping out my 3.8 and trans.
I pulled out the motor and box in the shed a few weeks ago, and ive got myself a parts car now so im ready to rip this one out and chuck it in my good car.
So im wanting to take motor, trans and also the lsd diff, and ive been told its easier to unbolt the struts or whatever in the engine bay, a couple bolts under the motor somewhere, unbolt driveshaft from diff and trans mounts etc and lift the car away.
Is this making my job any easier or harder for the replacement process or am i just better off lifting it out and dropping it back in the good car?

Cheers guys would really appreciate some opinions and ideas

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Hi Janxin,

Unless you have access to a hoist I would do it in the traditional method and that is lift the components up and out of the body. In the factory they had perfect jigs for holding the engine and trans on the K frame with all the suspension attached and it was lifted up from underneath. This is rather awkward to do without a hoist to lift the body directly vertical while the k frame and trans are totally supported horizontally.

Cheers.