Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

95 VS V8 running rough & very sluggish, help!!!

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Had a similar problem with my VS Calais V8. Turned out to be some bad connections in the PCM which caused intermittent problems like you are experiencing.

Salan95VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS V8 Ute
Had a similar problem with my VS Calais V8. Turned out to be some bad connections in the PCM which caused intermittent problems like you are experiencing.
I have heard of this happening before, but how would that just suddenly happen?, I’ve never had the PCM or ECM out of it the whole time I’ve owned it & I’ve had it from 98,000k’s. Is it an easy fix?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
My situation was atypical because it was the result of the modifications required to interface the PCM with the Motec ECU/manifold that was installed on my 383 VS Calais.

Nevertheless it took years, and the unnecessary installation of many TPS units by myself, before the real source of the problem was identified and fixed. I didn't fix the problem personally, so the only advice I could give is to perhaps get the PCM connections checked out by an auto electrician.
Before that, the other thing you could possibly try, would be removing and re-seating each of the two PCM module connectors a couple of times to make sure there is a good electrical connection. Diagram attached below:

Attachments

• VS V8 PCM Connector Identification.pdf
    432.9 KB · Views: 286

Salan95VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS V8 Ute
My situation was atypical because it was the result of the modifications required to interface the PCM with the Motec ECU/manifold that was installed on my 383 VS Calais.

Nevertheless it took years, and the unnecessary installation of many TPS units by myself, before the real source of the problem was identified and fixed. I didn't fix the problem personally, so the only advice I could give is to perhaps get the PCM connections checked out by an auto electrician.
Before that, the other thing you could possibly try, would be removing and re-seating each of the two PCM module connectors a couple of times to make sure there is a good electrical connection. Diagram attached below:
Aw great this sounds like it’s going to be fun :( . I’ll try pulling all the connectors off first before spending money on an auto Electrician, hopefully that’s all it is & it fixes the problem. Thanks heaps for the electrical diagram & your help BlackVXGTS

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Jaycar sell pretty good contact cleaner better than the stuff at Repco. Would be worth spraying the plug and the terminals and giving them a clean, when you unplug the harness.

Salan95VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS V8 Ute
Jaycar sell pretty good contact cleaner better than the stuff at Repco. Would be worth spraying the plug and the terminals and giving them a clean, when you unplug the harness.
Aw sweet I didn’t know know that, thanks losh1971 I’ll stop by JayCar this week.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Find another pcm to try.you can use a vr v6 auto pcm and fit your v8 memcal into it they are the same pcm but cheaper and easier to get