Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

96 VS Commodore Executive v6 to v8 conversion. Tips please?!?

NZsmoka

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Commodore Executive
I am beginning a V8 conversion for a my commodore, have only just taken the old engine and gear box out.

It was a auto v6, but im going to manual it and I am only just deciding on a v8 now and contemplating the troubles i may encounter, and vital parts i will need.
I understand that i have to choose a specific engine,but im unsure at this point, i am swaying towards a LS. But maybe not.

What are pros/cons of the different v8s? Vital info to consider? Could anyone help me out?

This is my baby atm
niiiice.jpg

kyekye

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore / VS SII Calais hybrid
If you're considering putting in a v8 you would be better off with a 5l out of a ss, if you want to put a manual in you need a v8 bell house, clutch fork and clutch cable aswel as flywheel and clutch plate and pressure plate, also i would put in a v8 k frame (will bolt straight in,) you can buy a manual conversion kit for around 800$ and also the computer for the v8 and loom and a bigger radiator, as well as an exhaust setup,

Pros.
Power house

Cons
will cost some money
Not as fuel efficient
Will take alot of time,

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
5L.
buy a Manual VS with the 5L in it and transfer it over.
can find a written off VS with everything in it for under $3k. then its a straight swap of everything.
*have contemplated this myself, but im lazy and would rather pay someone else to do it, so it put that out of the question, but is the best way other than to buy a manual 5l*

LS1.
custom parts, but many shops can now get them or have them like Castlemaine Rod Shop.
can become pricey quickly, so do your maths on it.
will also require other upgrades like Brakes and similar.