Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

96 vs commodore not going into gear

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
Hi Kev, who bought the new trans? You, or the guy that installed it?

Did it drive properly when you picked the car up after having g the tranny installed?

Was there any warranty given on the replacement tranny when it was purchased?

Who diagnosed the original fault in the old transmission?

Kev094

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 vs commodore
Hi Kev, who bought the new trans? You, or the guy that installed it?

Did it drive properly when you picked the car up after having g the tranny installed?

Was there any warranty given on the replacement tranny when it was purchased?

Who diagnosed the original fault in the old transmission?

Hey mate! I brought the transmission myself and paid someone to install it that ripped me off one of my mates told me the check the oil level of the gear box from cold to warm after 5 minutes of idling or something like that and the oil level didn’t change so he said it will be the pump so I got a new transmission hoping to fix the pump in the old one and have a spare for the future, but now the new transmission isin and seems to be the same problem at before so maybe has something to do with the TC not being installed properly or something I’m just not that on to it with cars but I’m trying to be

Kev094

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 vs commodore
Hey mate! I brought the transmission myself and paid someone to install it that ripped me off one of my mates told me the check the oil level of the gear box from cold to warm after 5 minutes of idling or something like that and the oil level didn’t change so he said it will be the pump so I got a new transmission hoping to fix the pump in the old one and have a spare for the future, but now the new transmission isin and seems to be the same problem at before so maybe has something to do with the TC not being installed properly or something I’m just not that on to it with cars but I’m trying to be
The car never drove after the first issue I had I got the gearbox replaced and seems to be the same issue

Kev094

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 vs commodore
To me, sounds like the tc is cactus? Its the tc from the original trans?
Yes it is mate that’s what I was wondering is there anyway to tell that is is the TC?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I should have asked the question early in the piece, but how did you get the car from the mechanic to your place after the gearbox was replaced? Surely, if you weren't able to jump in the car and drive it either onto a trailer or out onto the road, alarm bells should have gone off, no matter how little experience you have with cars

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Had a feeling you were dodging direct answers 'cos basically up schitts creek.

Doesn't matter if convertor is stuffed you have no warranty for using stuffed part in supposedly good transmission...not supposed to swap convertors on case contaminated or damaged.

So basically you have to pay labour costs all over again but use mechanic should be slapped for lack of common sense...if convertor was wrong with supplied transmission how do you know that wasn't wrong item too.

If wrong convertor should have sent you back to get correct transmission & convertor than reuse anything from broken item...also you should have got workshop to supply & fit then you'd have had warranty for parts & labour..it would be their headache to fix.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The go with SH engine and or trans is to have the wrecker who supplies the part fit the part. Unfortunately not much you can do except pull the trans and get the pump checked. It's not a big job to check the pump but it is trans out. Installing the TC incorrectly can crack the pump. I have made the mistake and had to pull the trans and get the pump checked and refitted the trans. I was lucky that the damage wasn't a cracked pump, just marked. But it could have been much worse.

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
The car never drove after the first issue I had I got the gearbox replaced and seems to be the same issue

Are you saying that when the mechanic fitted the new tranny you weren't able to drive the car at all? If so, what did the mechanic tell you? And if he wasn't able to fix your car, did he tell you what the issue is and what's needed to get it going again?

One last question.
Did you pay this guy to try and install the box, or pay him to get your car back on the road?

If it's the latter, get him to do what you paid for.

I feel for you mate, but like others have said, next time have the workshop supply and fit the tranny.