Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

96 VS Senator #690

spud_22

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Wagon, VS UTE, 96 VS Senator
Been busy today, considering how hungover I am. Haha fitted the radiator with a few minor modifications to get it to sit right. Up to modifying the shroud and making brackets that will fit to the top of the radiator so the CAI and shroud can screw to them. TB fitted, the The plate that the accelerator cable attaches to must have been wrong. I couldn't get the cruse control to attach properly, it was hold the butterfly open a tad. So swamped my old plate with the new one and all good.

Tomorrow I need to get some argon gas for the welder to finish the shroud brackets and get some radiator conditioner or whatever it's called.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Sorry, I should have said you'd probably have to change plate over, so did I .

spud_22

Reaction score
Members Ride
All done today, running a flush thought the cooling system at the moment. Went for a bit of a drive and the temp gauge never even got close to 1/4. Since iv had the car its never sat below a 1/4 and some time a lot higher. Happy days. Im getting error 35 now witch I think I know why and will have a crack at fixing it when the engine has cooled down.

spud_22

Reaction score
Members Ride
So there is a bit of play with the TPS with the screws lose, I have ready somewhere that somebody else had a high idle and slightly moved the TPS while lose and it fixed their problem. I tried moving mine from one extreme to the other with no luck. Best I could get was an idea around 1200rmp. Ordering a new TPS tonight and hope this works. Im pretty sure iv put it all back together right.

Possibly the IAC so ording a new one as well.

Last edited:

spud_22

Reaction score
Members Ride
Still waiting on a new IAC valve, fingers crossed it come by friday.
Bit ticked of for not noticing the nut that holds the cruise control cabe to the accelerator bracket was hitting the stopper on the TB. Not very fun when your accelerator gets stuck 3/4 the way down and you can't get it back up. Looks like ill be taking the angle grinder to it this weekend. I must have gotten a TB that wasn't cruise control comparable, had a few problems with it now.
IMG_4543.JPG_zpsj2u7l4lz.jpeg

The nut get wedged against the stopper and hold the TB open.
IMG_4544.JPG_zpsm4pulm7z.jpeg

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I think that must have been a V6 TB originally. I had the same problem when I used put a 70mm TB on my 304 that had originally been on a V6 engine. I too cut the sucker down to suit :)

spud_22

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I was also beginning to think it's a V6 one. Oh well after cutting that stopper down I don't think it will give me anymore trouble.

spud_22

Reaction score
Members Ride
Still having problems with a high idle, error 36 showing (vacuum leak) I can't seem to find where it is though. Surly it has to do with the TB as thats the only thing iv touched. Starting to drive me a little crazy, iv been spraying WD40 around all the vacuum lines and can't get any response from the engine.

Heres a reason why you shouldn't slam your doors. Drives side latch, it wasn't lining up properly with the striker and previous owners have been slamming the door to get it to close.
IMG_4546.JPG_zpsdwc3pfny.jpeg

IMG_4547.JPG_zpswcmr2mhl.jpeg

H

harrop.senator

Sprayed it around the intake manifold? May be a lim leak.