Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'96 VS series-II $-value???

Luked

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
D22
I've just turned 17, nearly got $5000 and have been offered a:
1996 VS commodore (auto) series 2 wagon with 190,000 k's, and in good condition with a good service history.
Seller says there's no probs with the car. Previously used as a gardeners car, towing light stuff. Has rego too.
Even though I'm not very specific with It's condition etc. I want to know if its a good 1st car to buy?
He wants $3500 for it, but will go less.
I'll be doing my L's in it for a year 'till I get my P's, so most of the time it will be parked in a farm shed.
In regards to its engine/transmition, would an auto box be worn out as a longtime towing car with its 190,00 k's? When will it want a rebuild?
Should I keep saving and buy a '97 series-1 VT for around $8000, with a lotta k's (approx: 230,000)???
:)

XCITE6

VT SS GEN3 6spd
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss Gen3 6spd
Hey,

i would personally keep saving my money, until something really good comes up.. if you look hard enough in the paper you can find decent vs's cheap and with low Km's.. just dont be impatient cuz if you are, you will end up regretting what you have bought..

i understand that the wagon is a 1996, but 190,000ks is alot when u are thinking about selling it in a few years time.. when i bought my vl is was roughly 250,000ks and when i sold it, it was on 265ks.. i had sooo much trouble trying to sell the vl i basically had to give it away..

Luked

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
D22
Cheers!
$7000 can get an immaculate VS with low k's; (around 80,000 to 100,000).
On the other hand, a '97 VT with around 150,000 k's goes for $8,500.
Reliability wise, Is the VS a better (and cheaper in the long run) car to own?
Don't forget, I've got 9months until I'm prepared to hand over my ca$h.....so cars should be a little cheaper by then :)
When would a VS need a rebuild? 250,00kms? What about buying a cheaper VT with 230,000k's then rebuilding it?
Thanks 4 the advice!!!

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
My personal opinion, go for a newer car with less km's. In the case of a VS with 190,000 and a VT with 230,000 I'd go the VS. Also depends on the shape you like more, it does come down to personal preference. The less km's the better though in my opinion.
As for rebuilds, you might get lucky and not have to touch it. Treat it right and it'll last you 450,000 and higher without any major problems (talking from personal experiences).

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
to hell with a poverty pack VT, for not much more than you have now you can get a pretty decent, low ks VS berlina or possibly a calais. Really though, it depends on which car you lie better. Obviously my preference is a VS, but if you like the VT better, get that. BOth cars really are pretty reliable

Gav1n

Reaction score
Members Ride
'03 VYII S-Pack
VS has very similar engine but is heaps lighter, hence faster and easier on fuel. My VS II '96 wagon has done 340,000k's with the original engine, the 'box was replaced at the wreckers for $900 at about 310,000 but I believe that was after a rebuild. Same wreckers has quoted me $1,300 fitted for a VT engine.
I say go the VS, or as above, wait for a nice Berlina or Calais.
:)

Luked

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
D22
Yeah, I'm gonna go VS!
What about an LS1'd VS, for a 1st ride? I think it is just under the 125kw per tonne restriction???
I'm only planning on whacking on a 2-pack paint job (silver bottom/blue top: Like a Calais) and perhaps VY SS rims.
I'm no fan of big body kits, or blazin' stereos, so I'm gonna go for the rims, paint n shocks job! :)
Other than that, it's gonna tow dirt-bikes and carry me and ma huntin' mates :)
There's nothin better than working my ass of washing dishes, knowing there's a Commodore waiting at the end of the tunnel!!!!!!

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
Man I just picked up my VS 1997 series II for 6k about six months ago, 150,000k's two previous owners were old (over 60). I just wanted a blank canvas and that was the top of market price because of the condition. Spend the time to look for something with low k's that hasn't been used to tow anything (Vs gearbox's are known for blowing after towing lots). A regularly serviced vs should run like new even at 200,000 so check the service history test drive more than one. Dont fall for the first one you see. Avoid dealers they always want at least 2k more than it's worth. An LS1 into a VS will cost you a fortune although I have dreamt about it *dreams about the power mmmmm* If you want lots of power look at the supercharged vs calais. In good nick you can get them for $9,000 with a resonable amount of k's. www.redbook.com.au is brilliant as you can guage an idea of how much it is worth. Before you buy anything get an insurance quote supercharged six's will cost you nearly as much as a v8 to insure. Once you find your ride take some photos and put it in the my ride section.

Just some food for thought.