Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'97 Caprice SHYGMH

FORGIVEME

no substitute for cui
Reaction score
Members Ride
98 S3 VS STATESMAN
do you still have this weapon jecs?

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
Not a whole lot of updates, life has taken me on another journey building a home.

I have been weighing up the idea of drop in air bags for the rear. I found this kit and although its on the higher end compared to other bag kits, these guys seem to be very reputable, and I like the idea of the drop in bags as I wouldn't need to cut and weld to get them fitted for the sake of few mm difference in height.

dont know if this is something me and a few mate can tackle or if its a job for a workshop, but not a whole lot of choice in shops to get them fitted.

https://airide.com.au/collections/h...den-commodore-vt-vz-irs-drop-in-rear-only-kit

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I'd love bags on mine but I think if I was to do it I'd have to go down the route of all 4 corners which means cutting the car up and also gets super expensive.

I can't do the invisible caravan look, it has to be dead level on all corners.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'd love bags on mine but I think if I was to do it I'd have to go down the route of all 4 corners which means cutting the car up and also gets super expensive.

wish I could do all 4's but the kit alone is 5k haha. im not doing it for the looks to be honest. I've always loved the height it sits at now.

its more the practical side, i've always worried with the DiFillipos hanging the way they do especially the way Victorian roads are - and to make things easier with drive-ways, speed bumps etc.

plus because the drop in's have the larger plates on the top and bottom to cater for the bump stop, even at completely aired out they dont go as low as the bolt in's. heres pics of the air bag difference (both kits fit VP-VS IRS)

Drop In Kit:

1665622187499.png

Bolt In Kit:

1665622340890.png

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8

Call me different, but a little extra height in the back for a nose down look is what I think is cool. And then as a bonus when you put fatties in the back (or Bunnings order in the boot) and it sits level. Win win

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Call me different, but a little extra height in the back for a nose down look is what I think is cool. And then as a bonus when you put fatties in the back (or Bunnings order in the boot) and it sits level. Win win
True I don't mind a little rake.

I just can't stand those cars at car meets that pull up then just dump the ass on the ground like this, looks ridiculous imo
1665654317605.jpeg

*vomit emoji*

Last edited:

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 Omega, EA Fairmont (Restoration)
Any time I talk about wanting to keep the rake if I was to lower my car a little, the shops always try to talk me out of it. I don't think they want to do the math themselves.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I emailed a guy thats about an hour and a half drive away to give me a rough quote after seeing his videos on youtube of his shop installing bags. he seems like a real genuine bloke thats why if I was going down the route of using him I would have full trust in him and his work.

I don't think hes ever used this 'drop in' style kit before but he did quote me roughly $1400 which is a little on the higher end. but I also feel like hes budgeting the difficulty of the 'Bolt in' kits and installing the tank in the wheel well like he does on the VT-VZ.

Currently still at the drawing board. one side of me is fairly confident in installing the bag, running the air lines into the boot and installing the tank and compressor - my whole boot floor is giant MDF board so mounting that is a piece of piss.

its all the wiring that im not confident in - and i never want to touch the center console again after installing the B&M Shifter - so if was to install the gauge/switches would have to mount under the steering wheel like near my left knee.

Attachments

• DSCN1791.JPG
    DSCN1791.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 136

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
and i never want to touch the center console again after installing the B&M Shifter
Feels, mines a nightmare down there as it's got my shifter dropbox, all the linkages for the shifter etc, my wideband wiring and the trans temp wiring.

It's basically organised chaos down there.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi all,

been a hot minute and I need some advice. Haven't given much love to Shya (life has been a rollercoaster this year)

I have been trying to start it and let it idle every so often but one day it was just cranking and cranking without firing. I thought it was the immobiliser but after disconnecting the battery and leaving the key in the accessories it still wouldnt fire. eventually got it fire.

it did this for the next few times I tried to start it. One of the times I had it running I saw fuel leaking out from just behind the fuel reg so I quickly switched it off - threw the car cover back over it and left it.

I came back to it today and she fired up straight away, but no fuel leaking out. but you can see white **** running down the line. I have no idea if thats from something like a fuel stabiliser or the actually 98 fuel. but it wasnt leaking today???

obviously too scared to take it out incase it goes up in flames. I thought about getting Pirtek or someone like that around. I cant tell where it would be leaking from or why its stopped.

Attachments

• IMG_4851.PNG
    IMG_4851.PNG
    641.7 KB · Views: 45