Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'97 Caprice SHYGMH

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Don't recommend Optima these days, I used to be a massive supporter of them.

My old Yellow tops used to last 7-8 years and so far my current red top has shat the bed after only 18 months of daily use and a mates had the same problem with a yellow top and a red top now.

Reports online are riddled with premature failures too, I reckon they've slipped in their manufacturing process or been sold and cheapened which is just poor form considering the prices of them are only going up.

I've gone back to AC Delco and Century.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I gave up on Century years ago, they don't last very long at all. I'm giving a Supercharge a go now. I've heard good reports about them. Plus I bought it from the warehouse and got it about $50 less than the cheapest sale price that I have ever seen at Autobarn.
I've heard good reports about Delco batteries too.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Had my Century since 2/07/17 in my VC and no hint of troubles on this replacement...The first one gave up the ghost after a couple of months but got replaced under warranty with no hastles....Mine is in the boot of the car as well....

I also left this battery disconnected, for approximately 6 months, without a charger on it either....When I reconnected it up when I put the new motor in, it spun the starter straight away

Last edited:

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
Thanks to a mate, I was able to get the bigger AC Delco battery for only $205. Didn't take any photos of it but the thing weighed a ton, but it sat in the battery box perfectly. Mounted everything back up and put it on charge and waited until it was fully charged again and cranked it, was strong as hell.

IMG_E5910.JPG

also little side action - anyone else see these light up signs at supercheap? I couldnt pass them up.

IMG_5911.JPG

IMG_E5915.JPG

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
on to other news, someguy360 has inspired me. I've always hated my front bar, mine is my factory S2 front bar and back in the day I bought the lower lip extension (and S3 rear bar, number plate insert, lip) from GM Holden. Took it to a panel shop and they absolutely butchered the front. In the end they wiped their hands clean of it and I went out and sourced a genuine S3 used front bar.

Its been sitting hung up on my wall for years now collecting dust - so I'm putting a little game plan together to see this complete.

Things I need;
- Gel Bumper pads 10mm x 4mm

To hold the lip they use two clips;
- Plastic Push Mount Screws
- Does anyone know the correct name for these? back in trade school we called them Alligator clips but getting no results: eBay Link

Paint Codes: 1997/98 VS Statesman/Caprice - J073 Heron White - 4H046 Shadow Grey

I'll use the chrome strip off my current bar as the one on it has seen better days.

FrontBar.jpg

ill get a panel shop to spray it properly

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Been wanting to fix up my inner rear bumper for awhile - its got a million drill hole from when mudflaps were on it.

I went to supercheap and got J073 Heron White - 4H046 Shadow Grey mixed up in some pressure pack cans.

I sanded and filled the holes and primed up the area. I sprayed the area all white so the silver section looked a little lighter.

once I masked off the white and sprayed the shadow grey it was like Night and Day - it was two completely different colours and stood out like dog balls. it was a **** ton darker than whats on my bars.

I sat down and thought 'f**k what am I going to do now' I end up getting a can of caliper paint silver I had laying around and sprayed it some metal and held it against the bar. it wasn't a complete match but looked closer than what was on it. so I sprayed it in that.

its definitely a 'good from far, far from good' jobs

ill do the other side tomorrow.

IMG_6057.JPG

IMG_6061.jpg

OKXV3502.JPG

WAQY4746.JPG

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
on to other news, someguy360 has inspired me.

I'm so sorry :)

I tried a can of Duplicolor J064 Alaskan White on mine a while ago from SCA for touch up jobs and it was compleeeeeetely different, even for stone chip touch ups you could see it a mile away.

I'll only get my paint mixed by a crash shop now, using both the code and my fuel filler door as a reference.

BCS paints on ebay is really good too, they mix everything to order, they did my shadow grey, from order to mixing to delivery was within the week which was pretty damn good.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That's strange because Duplicolor Alaskan is very close to my paint. I dare say mine has had a respray though at some point.
I do find different brands of paint tend to be a different shade of white. I find on mine Valspar is the closest but you need to buy a litre as 500mls comes out darker.