Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'97 Caprice SHYGMH

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
I think manual goes against a lot this car stands for! Not exactly built for high cornering speeds and banging through gears in the twisty bits!
What problems have you had with the kit? Apart from the lip of pulley coming off. How was it on full lock as have heard gilmer belts can jump off on full lock? As looking at similar set ups etc for my car

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
I think manual goes against a lot this car stands for! Not exactly built for high cornering speeds and banging through gears in the twisty bits!
What problems have you had with the kit? Apart from the lip of pulley coming off. How was it on full lock as have heard gilmer belts can jump off on full lock? As looking at similar set ups etc for my car

yeh dirb id never convert to manual. 1. because i use to drive semi's and having to change gears 8 times and you've hit a speed 40km/h you realize manuals can eat a dick lol and 2. because stall converter and fully manulized boxes are sexual.

dobez the kit looks good. but dealing with bullet is bull ****. the gave me a faulty alternator and to exchange it over was the biggest mission to have them say yeah that brand we gave you were cheap **** alternators. and they gave me a new alte which i had to modify the bracket to suit it. then there was the advice they gave me on how to fit the power steering pulley causing me to crush the internals.

just an example of how poor there business ethic is, i emailed them last week

Attached is two pictures of my Bullet Cylinder head power steering pulley as you can see the front lip has removed itself from the unit. i will be honest, ive spent ALOT of money buying the complete package to suit the Holden 5lt (alternator bracket, alternator, gilmer, power steering bracket, timing cover, etc) and have had nothing but problems with it.

from a faulty alternator that was very painful to exchange over causing me to miss my brothers wedding as a wedding car. to your advice on how to put the new power steering gilmer onto the shaft. which was beyond poor causing me to crush the internals of my power steering pump and having to buy a new one. i had spoke to a proper power steering company which fitted the pulley on for me and they told me the advice which Bullet supplied me with was disaster waiting to happen.

im beyond disappointed in your product, considering how much ive spent overall and the fact that now i have to remove the pump again, pay for a new gilmer pulley, pay freight to ship the pump and pulley off to the power steering company and pay to have it fitted.

Hi Andrew

We do not make the Gilmer pulleys only the billet brackets. We sell the pulleys to complete our range of products.

The pulleys are made by Diecrest engineering in Melbourne. I will forward you there number so you can speak to them.

I’m sure they can help you. (0354742321 or [email protected])

Maybe fix the pulley and fit it for you at no charge.

The faulty alternator is disappointing but happens occasionally. I sell these alternators because we find they are the better of the cheaper chinese brands.($190 we sell them for)

For every 50 I get 2-3 that aren’t correct. This is why some of my customers upgrade to a quality bosch alternator. ($465 cast finish $595 polished then chromed.) Unfortunately this makes a massive increase to my already expensive kit.

As for the fitting of the pulley to the pump….I would like to know who advised you? Was it over the phone? You can’t just press it on in a press.

It needs to pressed on with a proper fitting tool. Most machine shops/mechanical workshops will be able to fit it on.

Im sorry you’re not happy with the total product.

Thanks Marcus

you have a pissed off customer. instead of saying we'll pay postage send it back up we'll fit you a new pulley and freight it back free of charge they palm it off. i had no dealings with Diecrest. Diecrest is their supplier ie Bullets Problem. this is why when i crushed the pump i didnt even bother calling Bullet up to make them pay for a new pump. i would HIGHLY recommend not using them

if you do want to do a gilmer set up but the kit from Diecrest and just buy the brackets from Bullet.

in other news refitted the power steering pump today. kicked her over and within the first 3 seconds i hear a bang.

it managed to break the welds. imma burn this fkn power steering

20140712_152718_zps9b7982ed.jpg

Last edited:

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
there's no alingment issue?
They should put more than a few shitty tack weld on something like that

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I'm not sure if you are across this Jecs but thought I'd leave it here just in case.

The Australian Consumer Law - Homepage

It contains various consumer guarantees that extend beyond any product guarantee. Perhaps challenge them on the ACL andf seek a refund or taken them to fair trading/consumer affairs given you're not talking about a couple if bucks here.

mazzstein

Yeahhh Karrnntt.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nitrous 355 Stato
Hi jecs, id just like to confirm and add a +1 to bullet being **** ####s.
Products look nice, but if you try use them their a peice of crap.

P.s hows your potatoe mateeeee going?

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Yea Jecs thats pretty much what i have done by accident, i purchased a full gilmer kit off diecast years ago, includes aircon as well. I have purchased billet brackets seperatly and a new power steer pump with no pulley on it. In instructions it says you need to heat the pulley and simply slide over snout with a mm packer to shim it off the pump. Diecast can fit for you, who ended up fitting it for you?
As currently in process of sorting out all my gilmers etc. You could probably just buy a new power gilmer from diecast, how did the outer rim come off?

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
Yea Jecs thats pretty much what i have done by accident, i purchased a full gilmer kit off diecast years ago, includes aircon as well. I have purchased billet brackets seperatly and a new power steer pump with no pulley on it. In instructions it says you need to heat the pulley and simply slide over snout with a mm packer to shim it off the pump. Diecast can fit for you, who ended up fitting it for you?
As currently in process of sorting out all my gilmers etc. You could probably just buy a new power gilmer from diecast, how did the outer rim come off?

i didnt get any instructions. when i was doing mine i thought it would be simple heating it up and using a mallet. was a loosing battle thats when i called Bullet and he told to use a 5 ton press, chock the rear where the lines are and press it on.

i went and saw a guy/mate at burons. he sent it to a mob in NSW (have details in my car some where) they called me and told me the whole internals where crushed and i needed to buy a new pump. he told me you have to pull the pump apart, and have shaft and pulley on their own and press it on.

why the rim came off, well when they pressed the puller on im not 100% sure if they measure it against the factory spec or what but the belt must of been pressed hard against it.

im gunna speak to diecrest and maybe ill send them the pump and let them fit it.

on other news. im baffled at companies crying poor sayin the auto mod industry has died in the ass when people have poor business ethics. ive been trying to get ahold of james @ switched on auto elec for awhile now. it started before easter when he said he'd call me the next day to see if i was right to bring my car up to leaving msg, voice msgs, missed calls and no return phone calls

so i spoke to Electronic Automotive today, and i cannot fault these guys they are just f**king awesome. he said straight up 'listen im not keen on doing the job simply because how much work is involved you dont really turn a profit but by the sounds of how much stuffing around you've gone through ill do it'

havent set a date yet simple because hes got a new guy starting and wants to train him before he takes it on.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
We have a power steer pulley puller at work, if you want another pulley pulled off an fitted back on, send it to me and I'd be happy to do it for you. It's a proper tool for the job, no need to pull the pump apart at all.