Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

97 vt acclaim-help me

scheppo

Reaction score
Members Ride
nothing yet
hey everyone im new here but yeah anyways im looking at buying my first car and i found a real nice 97 VT Acclaim but one problem down here in victoria we have a kw per tonne limit for the factory weight of cars for p platers? its ___kw per tonne but thats only of the factory weight and power of the car that as well as the obvious no turbos no super BS that we have to put up with.

anyways does anyone know what that limit is? and what is the top speed of a 97 vt acclaim as well as some fairly cheap engine mods like a new exhaust system, new headers, hi flow CAT, new muffler all that **** so yeah if someone could throw some mods including brand names and approx prices that would be greatly appreciated.:thumbsup:

The other massive problem is that all my mates reckon the acclaims have too many troubles than its worth ranging from engine to air con to brakes :bang:
... is this true, what do you guys think about that?

Thankyou in advance:bow:

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
its a v6 is it not? in which case, dont need to worry about power to weight, you can drive the v6 legally.

top speed? legally, 110kph, thats all that matters

search the forum for mods, infact i suggest the vt-vx faq sticky in this very section.

scheppo

Reaction score
Members Ride
nothing yet
yeah a 3.8 ltr v6 alright thanks man
yeah i know the legal top speed... but you still need to know what your pride of a ride can do, true?
i found that other thread and thats got more than i could possilby imagine but what it comes down to is a a simple yes or no in a vt owners eyes IS IT WORTH IT

scheppo

Reaction score
Members Ride
nothing yet
damn thats not a bad effort at all how much did you pay for the mods and could you give more detail about them?

Last edited:

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
If you've just got your P's you're also under a "No Modification" blanket ban. So you can forget exhaust and whatnot for three years.

scheppo

Reaction score
Members Ride
nothing yet
**** you serious? i havent heard anything about that? is that for vic or nationwide?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition

scheppo

Reaction score
Members Ride
nothing yet
hmmmm

A probationary licence holder cannot drive a vehicle if it has:

* An engine of eight or more cylinders;
* a turbocharged or supercharged engine (except diesel powered vehicles. Exemptions can apply for lower performance turbo and supercharged cars);
* an engine that has been modified to increase its performance; and/or

that last ones a bit of a problem so you know how we go from our L's to red p's and then when we're 21 we have our greens for a year then at 22 we can get a full license does that mean that even if im on my greens i cant have engine mods?

Mc Nugget

Aka ShiZzl3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II - LOWERED - 19's - HID's...!
Exhaust, extractors, lowering, wheels etc are NOT engine mods. you CAN drive them on p's providing they are legal size rims/ legal height of car etc.

my mods mate do not really ADD that much power. the stock v6 is powerful enough to kill, worry about powerful performace cars later when your older and don't have the restrictions you do now.