Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

98 Octane Fuel

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by Crabito, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Crabito

Crabito Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS 2009 V8
    I have a SS 09 VE 6.0 Litre
    I have tried 3 brands of Fuel and I only run 98 Octane
    and I fill up to the top when its getting close to empty before the low fuel warning

Caltex (Woolworths) 98
    Shell (Coles Express) 98
    BP Ultimate 98

I have noticed using Caltex 98 (Woolworths) my SS seem to rev but lacks power and seems to eat it more. The car dosent seem happy.
    Shell 98 The SS performs alot better more torque when you accelerate fuel economy isn't bad either
    I like BP Ultimate the best the car goes really well the power is there and the fuel seems to last

Has anybody noticed?

2. wraith

wraith Hand over the dog bikkies

Members Ride:
    VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
    Well documented and been covered many times that BP Ultimate is the better of the 98 octane fuels. Does depend on the car though some cars react differently.

3. The1

The1 A Memcal a Day Keeps..

Members Ride:
    VS V6 Berlina Auto
    read the MSDS sheets for each fuel and you'l find BP98 & United 98 is the cleanest and is pretty much 100% gasoline, the others tend to use less gasoline and load it full of crap to get the rating up.

VXBaz likes this.
  4. PRAVX II S

PRAVX II S Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore
    This is using BP ultimate.

Attached Files:

5. Crabito

Crabito Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS 2009 V8
    Soon as I use up this Caltex fuel. Ill only be using BP Ultimate. Its a 20KM to get there but its worth it

6. Loaded Dice

Loaded Dice .... Lets roll.

Members Ride:
    MY12 SSV Redline
    Where exactly did yo get this info from? It's wrong.. Fact is, most of them use the exact same base 98RON fuel then put their own friction modifying and cleaning additives in on top at the time that it is loaded into the truck for delivery. All brands are as clean as each other contaminate wise, but as stated, different cars perform differently to each other on different fuels. None of them use an octane booster as an ingredient, but all fuel looses octane potency with age, essentially it goes off if not stored properly over long periods of time, there is a thread dedicated to this also, so if interested, search it.

HTH.

commodore665 likes this.
  7. Noeleter

Noeleter Active Member

Members Ride:
    VEII Equipe Sportwagon
    Quality of the fuel will have more to do with the service station tank it is stored in than who it is produced by. Also depends on their turnover and how long it stays in the tank.

8. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    I`m going to run 2 tanks of BP98 just to see.

9. The1

The1 A Memcal a Day Keeps..

Members Ride:
    VS V6 Berlina Auto
    The MSDS sheets as i mentioned earlier. Required by Workplace Health and Safety, it shows the ingredients of the item and it's properties, As i said earlier they (BP, United) are the cleanest being no additives making it 99-100% pure Gasoline, if you think they are wrong then it's not only me you need to convince with lab tests. Here ive linked them all below.

here is united's Premium 98 (Petrol 86290-81-5 99-100%)
    Premium 98

here is BP's Ultimate 98 (Petrol 8006-61-9 100%)
    BP Ultimate unleaded | Products & services | BP Australia

here is Caltex's Vortex 98 (Gasoline 8006-61-9 90-100% Benzene 71-43-2 0.1% - 1%) doesn't add upto 100% though they quote the balance is "Ingredients determined to be non-hazardous". Sounds like water to me? lol
    Caltex Australia: Home

Try and find shell's MSDS sheets for there VPower on there website, you wont, it's still public but you need to spend an hour finding it.
    If you goto the shell website Shell in Australia - Australia then Click TGP under tools down the bottom, click contact viva energy australia - opens new window, window comes up for royal dutch click continue, click services, safety datasheets, click Download an SDS for Shell Fuel products, enter the viva website and search for v power.

Gasoline 86290- ​81- ​5 90- ​100 ​%
    BENZENE 71- ​43- ​2 <=1 ​%
    Complex ​mixture ​of ​hydrocarbons ​consisting ​of ​paraffins,​ ​cycloparaffins,​ ​aromatic ​and ​olefinic ​hydrocarbons ​(including ​benzene ​at ​1.​0%v/v ​maximum),​ ​with ​carbon ​numbers ​predominantly ​in ​the ​C4 ​to ​C12 ​range.​ ​May ​also ​contain ​several ​additives ​at ​<0.​1% ​v/v ​each.​
    Contains ​Benzene,​ ​CAS ​# ​71-​43-​2.​ ​Contains ​Toluene,​ ​CAS ​# ​108-​88-​3.​ ​Contains ​Ethylbenzene,​ ​CAS ​# ​100-​41-​4.​ ​Contains ​n-​Hexane,​ ​CAS ​# ​110-​54-​3.​ ​Contains ​Xylene ​(Mixed ​Isomers),​ ​CAS ​# ​1330-​20-​7.​ ​Contains ​Naphthalene,​ ​CAS ​# ​91-​20-​3.​ Contains ​Cyclo-​hexane,​ ​CAS# ​110-​82-​7.​ Contains ​Tri-​methyl-​benzene ​(all ​isomers),​ ​CAS# ​25551-​13-​7.​

VXBaz likes this.
  10. Crabito

Crabito Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS 2009 V8
    Copied from WIKI Page

Component of gasoline

As a gasoline (petrol) additive, benzene increases the octane rating and reduces knocking. As a consequence, gasoline often contained several percent benzene before the 1950s, when tetraethyl lead replaced it as the most widely used antiknock additive. With the global phaseout of leaded gasoline, benzene has made a comeback as a gasoline additive in some nations. In the United States, concern over its negative health effects and the possibility of benzene's entering the groundwater have led to stringent regulation of gasoline's benzene content, with limits typically around 1%.[48] European petrol specifications now contain the same 1% limit on benzene content. The United States Environmental Protection Agency introduced new regulations in 2011 that lowered the benzene content in gasoline to 0.62%.[49]

From WIKI

Very interesting

11. Noeleter

Noeleter Active Member

Members Ride:
    VEII Equipe Sportwagon
    Despite what people may think there is generally very little difference in the quality of fuels from the major suppliers, at least when it leaves the refinery. There is the possibility that fuels may be contaminated by service station tanks and that it may age before it is sold. Different brands will add small quantities of different additives.The difference in MSDSs is generally more a difference in terminology eg complex mixture of hydrocarbons can be another term for petrol or gasoline. Benzene used to be common to increase octane rating and as an anti-knock before lead came along. Since lead has been banned it has made a comeback. Most other additives are added in such small quantities that they don't have to be listed on MSDS. Most of the claims made about fuel differences are marketing hype. There have been instances of significant differences, however. Several years ago there was a problem with NZs only refinery so fuel was imported. A lot of the local vehicles were not compatible with the fuel which destroyed a lot of rubber components in the fuel systems of a lot of cars.

12. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    I filled up this morning about half a tank of BP 98.
    About half a tank Shell 98 left over from last fill.
    Drove out of Servo I`m not bull shitting the car ran better.
    I couldn`t beleave it but some quick squirts better pickup.
    About 30cents/litre dearer than 91. The servo has always been dearer.
    Shell about 24-26 dearer than 91.

Flame me if you like I know my car.:beer chug:

MYVESSV8 likes this.
  13. mantaray56

mantaray56 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 Z
    I only have a SV6, so no need for BP 98, but on a recent trip to Melbourne , tried a full tank of BP 91 to save a few bucks, boy was I surprised less power ( felt especially when passing in pickup) and economy suffered if the electronics are to believed. Filled up with 98 on the way home ( to Adelaide) and all is back to normal. may be all in my mind, but the missus even noticed, and she had no idea what fuel I used, she thought it was bad fuel. I am a believer.

14. wraith

Members Ride:
    The clubby hates anything but BP Ultimate. The only car that didn't like BP Ultimate was my old Skyline that ran better on V Power for some reason.

15. phillmac

phillmac New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
    My bikes run on nothing other than BP 98. So many bikes don't run right with the Shell version that they admit it.
    Cars get a tank in 3 of BP Ultimate to help clean them.

16. SnowDoggyDogg

SnowDoggyDogg 2ltr? = Only milk & juice

Members Ride:
    Gen F GTS
    If you really want a good clean out throw a tank of e85 in on rotation for the flex fuel cars.

VS_Pete likes this.
  17. wraith

Members Ride:
    Just don't forget to change fuel filter afterwards.

18. arronm

arronm Active Member

Members Ride:
    FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
    It depends on where you live to where the fuel comes from

In Perth we have a BP refinery. So most 98 in Perth is BP besides shell and a few others. I mostly use BP 98. Sometimes shell for the commodore. F6 runs on a 98/E85 mix. Both cars tuned for the respective fuels

19. Mayney

Mayney New Member

Members Ride:
    Hilux SR5
    I brought my caprice off my parents, they used 91ron when I got it I put vortex 98ron in it went for a 400k trip the next morning it took 3sec to crank wasn't good Holden took 3 weeks $2000 to get it running probably they cleaned the fuel out and started running good again put about 3 tanks of 95ron through it since then all good. Put 1 tank of 98ron and traveled 300k next morning have the same problem again. Dos anyone know what the go is AM I not ment to b using 98ron? Its a ls v8 with AFM

20. greenacc

greenacc Searching for the billion

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    Sounds like your car doesn't like it or the servo you gott it from is contaminated.
    Just use what runs best in your car.

mantaray56 likes this.