Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

98 Octane Fuel

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
The MSDS sheets as i mentioned earlier. Required by Workplace Health and Safety, it shows the ingredients of the item and it's properties, As i said earlier they (BP, United) are the cleanest being no additives making it 99-100% pure Gasoline, if you think they are wrong then it's not only me you need to convince with lab tests. Here ive linked them all below.

here is united's Premium 98 (Petrol 86290-81-5 99-100%)
Premium 98

here is BP's Ultimate 98 (Petrol 8006-61-9 100%)
BP Ultimate unleaded | Products & services | BP Australia

here is Caltex's Vortex 98 (Gasoline 8006-61-9 90-100% Benzene 71-43-2 0.1% - 1%) doesn't add upto 100% though they quote the balance is "Ingredients determined to be non-hazardous". Sounds like water to me? lol
Caltex Australia: Home

Try and find shell's MSDS sheets for there VPower on there website, you wont, it's still public but you need to spend an hour finding it.
If you goto the shell website Shell in Australia - Australia then Click TGP under tools down the bottom, click contact viva energy australia - opens new window, window comes up for royal dutch click continue, click services, safety datasheets, click Download an SDS for Shell Fuel products, enter the viva website and search for v power.

Gasoline 86290- ​81- ​5 90- ​100 ​%
BENZENE 71- ​43- ​2 <=1 ​%
Complex ​mixture ​of ​hydrocarbons ​consisting ​of ​paraffins,​ ​cycloparaffins,​ ​aromatic ​and ​olefinic ​hydrocarbons ​(including ​benzene ​at ​1.​0%v/v ​maximum),​ ​with ​carbon ​numbers ​predominantly ​in ​the ​C4 ​to ​C12 ​range.​ ​May ​also ​contain ​several ​additives ​at ​<0.​1% ​v/v ​each.​
Contains ​Benzene,​ ​CAS ​# ​71-​43-​2.​ ​Contains ​Toluene,​ ​CAS ​# ​108-​88-​3.​ ​Contains ​Ethylbenzene,​ ​CAS ​# ​100-​41-​4.​ ​Contains ​n-​Hexane,​ ​CAS ​# ​110-​54-​3.​ ​Contains ​Xylene ​(Mixed ​Isomers),​ ​CAS ​# ​1330-​20-​7.​ ​Contains ​Naphthalene,​ ​CAS ​# ​91-​20-​3.​ Contains ​Cyclo-​hexane,​ ​CAS# ​110-​82-​7.​ Contains ​Tri-​methyl-​benzene ​(all ​isomers),​ ​CAS# ​25551-​13-​7.​

Despite what people may think there is generally very little difference in the quality of fuels from the major suppliers, at least when it leaves the refinery. There is the possibility that fuels may be contaminated by service station tanks and that it may age before it is sold. Different brands will add small quantities of different additives.The difference in MSDSs is generally more a difference in terminology eg complex mixture of hydrocarbons can be another term for petrol or gasoline. Benzene used to be common to increase octane rating and as an anti-knock before lead came along. Since lead has been banned it has made a comeback. Most other additives are added in such small quantities that they don't have to be listed on MSDS. Most of the claims made about fuel differences are marketing hype. There have been instances of significant differences, however. Several years ago there was a problem with NZs only refinery so fuel was imported. A lot of the local vehicles were not compatible with the fuel which destroyed a lot of rubber components in the fuel systems of a lot of cars.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I filled up this morning about half a tank of BP 98.
About half a tank Shell 98 left over from last fill.
Drove out of Servo I`m not bull shitting the car ran better.
I couldn`t beleave it but some quick squirts better pickup.
About 30cents/litre dearer than 91. The servo has always been dearer.
Shell about 24-26 dearer than 91.

Flame me if you like I know my car.:beer chug:

mantaray56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 Z
I only have a SV6, so no need for BP 98, but on a recent trip to Melbourne , tried a full tank of BP 91 to save a few bucks, boy was I surprised less power ( felt especially when passing in pickup) and economy suffered if the electronics are to believed. Filled up with 98 on the way home ( to Adelaide) and all is back to normal. may be all in my mind, but the missus even noticed, and she had no idea what fuel I used, she thought it was bad fuel. I am a believer.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
The clubby hates anything but BP Ultimate. The only car that didn't like BP Ultimate was my old Skyline that ran better on V Power for some reason.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
My bikes run on nothing other than BP 98. So many bikes don't run right with the Shell version that they admit it.
Cars get a tank in 3 of BP Ultimate to help clean them.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
If you really want a good clean out throw a tank of e85 in on rotation for the flex fuel cars.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
If you really want a good clean out throw a tank of e85 in on rotation for the flex fuel cars.

Just don't forget to change fuel filter afterwards.

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
It depends on where you live to where the fuel comes from

In Perth we have a BP refinery. So most 98 in Perth is BP besides shell and a few others. I mostly use BP 98. Sometimes shell for the commodore. F6 runs on a 98/E85 mix. Both cars tuned for the respective fuels

Mayney

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux SR5
I brought my caprice off my parents, they used 91ron when I got it I put vortex 98ron in it went for a 400k trip the next morning it took 3sec to crank wasn't good Holden took 3 weeks $2000 to get it running probably they cleaned the fuel out and started running good again put about 3 tanks of 95ron through it since then all good. Put 1 tank of 98ron and traveled 300k next morning have the same problem again. Dos anyone know what the go is AM I not ment to b using 98ron? Its a ls v8 with AFM

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sounds like your car doesn't like it or the servo you gott it from is contaminated.
Just use what runs best in your car.