Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

98 Octane - In a Country Town

BakeTheTank

Phreddy-ed UP!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Series II
Hey guys,

I know this question has been asked many times before for all commodores, but after searching the forum, I cannot find my question being answered directly. So please dont explode!

I live in a small country town, where the best fuels around here i can get are the:

1. Shell 98 V-Power
2. Mobil 95

For a VYII S does anyone know which fuel would be better to run on, because the closest BP is 100kms away.

Cheers.

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
v-power isnt that bad! i'd prefer bp ultimate.. but v-power is almost as good

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
V6s are only tuned for 95. Using 98 in a V6 will just cause unburnt fuel to be dumped into the exhaust (thus causing your exhaust tip to turn black faster :p) and actually produce less power. It isn't a bad idea to use 98 once in a while though because it tends to have a higher concentration of detergent then 95 or 91.

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
oh wow, i use 98 all the time.. and i get black **** around my tips.

so im just wastng my money huh

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
V power is great, I find its a bit better the BP ultimate, personally i'd rate ultimate one of the lower "premium" fuels and would go for V-Power or Mobil before BP.

If your car isn't tuned for 98 octane then you're wasting some of it's potential, not a complete waste though because it does help you car run smoother etc.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
V6s are only tuned for 95. Using 98 in a V6 will just cause unburnt fuel to be dumped into the exhaust (thus causing your exhaust tip to turn black faster :p) and actually produce less power. It isn't a bad idea to use 98 once in a while though because it tends to have a higher concentration of detergent then 95 or 91.

Regular unleaded doesn't have additives such as detergent like the 98 octane ranges do. Thats also why they tell you not to expect any difference between regular unleaded and BP Ultimate (or Mobil Synergy 8000 or Shell V-Power or Caltex Vortex 98) on the first tank. Rather 2-3 tanks depending on the age of the engine.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Id go bp i used it in my v6, didnt run right on v power, plus a tunning place up here prefers to tune to bp as they said its good quality and more consistant in quality then other fuels, getting my v8 tuned on bp next month :D

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
Ok now I'm going to ask the noob question but I think it should be asked cause I like to call myself a car guy and people think I know everything, which is just stupid. So when somebody asks me what is the difference between normal fuel and premium, all I can say is that the premium has a higher octane rating and burns better and cleaner. How right/wrong am I? What is the big difference between the regular and premium fuels? Worth buying? Thanks guys.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Ok now I'm going to ask the noob question but I think it should be asked cause I like to call myself a car guy and people think I know everything, which is just stupid. So when somebody asks me what is the difference between normal fuel and premium, all I can say is that the premium has a higher octane rating and burns better and cleaner. How right/wrong am I? What is the big difference between the regular and premium fuels? Worth buying? Thanks guys.

To be branded as a premium unleaded fuel, they have to meet stricter criteria in regards to the fuel quality and how clean/how much pollution the fuel emits. Which is in part the reason for the higher cost, as they have to be further refined. But the gap between a standard unleaded and a premium unleaded has decreased dramatically in the last decade or so, with the rules for regular unleaded tightening considerably. Other than that, 95 premium is just a higher octane as well (95 obviously compared to 91 for most regulars) and the 98 octanes have more octane boost again, but also contain an additive mix which is made up of detergents and, for lack of a better word, seperators, designed to keep the particles that the fuel cleans from your valves etc. from sticking together so that they pass throught the engine safely. BP Ultimate and the likes rely on cleaning your engine to increase performance, acceleration and response and to decrease emissions. Thats why they reccomend 2-3 tanks before you get the full benefit, and thats why they suggest ongoing use to also get the full benefit. One tank, or every second tank or one tank a month, as alot of people use it, is just a waste. Its not designed to give instant benefit.

March is 'fuels month' at BP outlets, so you should find a new range of pamphlets on BP Ultimate in most corporate or 'On the Run' badged stores so feel free to drop in and have a read and fill up with BP Ultimate :p lol