Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

99 Series 1 VT Senator

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
With the new wheels fitted yesterday, wasn't sure about them but am starting to like the look of them now they are on

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
Updated with the good things that have happened, but now an update on the not so good

Been noticing for a while the electric fans turning on even when the temp gauge has barely moved if any, thought possible ECU coolant temp sensor problem and could also explain high idle in gear, changed with new genuine sensor, no change. Did a check for codes and came up with 49 and 92, Cam angle or crank angle sensor signal intermittent and low speed fan fault. A bit of investigating found low speed fan (code 92) just needed a new relay to fix, easy done, knowing the old 5L has no cam or crank angle sensor made me scratch my head a little.

The Senator did at times would suddenly loose power like it was going to stall when idling, in gear or park didn't matter and would just do it a random times, it didn't seem like it was getting any worse under any different circumstances and only 2 or 3 times actually set off the check engine light. Read a few articles on 5L showing code 49 and found it to be related to the way Holden did the wiring to the ignition module. The problem was more common in the VTs because the module is hidden behind the air box which is slightly further away (hence longer wiring) than in previous models. The easy fix is to modify the wiring and loom slightly, that not doing the job leaves the ignition module itself and getting a rebuilt one with improved noise/signal filters. Am yet to tackle this problem so will keep here updated with how it goes.

and the story continues.......

Another imbecile with a license that wears blinkers while driving the reversed into my car :bomb:
Luckily I was still in the car when she hit me, was just a slight tap to the front bumper as I had reversed parked, only enough to crack the paint.
Long story short, no insurance, immigrant new to the country, student, lots of complaining of no money.......something new!
Tried to sort it out with her but got sick of getting nowhere fast. A quote of $1100 was too much, cash price of $650 was too much, 3rd party insurance $300-$400 was too much, the bill from my insurance is probably all that put together but that's not my problem.

Is all fixed now, for no extra charge the guy also fixed the scratch in one of the side skirts (would've had to paint as I had tried to buff out but was too deep) and also fixed my fading headlight and clear coated them both, the painter did an awesome job so the Senator is looking A1 again

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
This thing looks awesome. I've got my eye on one at the moment - any ideas on the market value for a clean and original vt sen with the 220i engine?

The Vt 5L DOES have a cam angle sensor - it's in the dizzy with the hall effect sensor (which is referred to as the crank angle sensor in this case). Try checking the square 4 pin plug that goes to the distributor and the earth at the rear of the head on the passenger side. Otherwise a replacement dizzy may be the way to go if the wiring is all good.

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
This thing looks awesome. I've got my eye on one at the moment - any ideas on the market value for a clean and original vt sen with the 220i engine?

Thanks for the compliment. If you're looking at one, it depends on how many Ks and what options it has, somewhere between 10 & $15,000. When I was looking there was a silver one in QLD for sale, 220i, Harrops, coulson seats and low Ks for about $18,000, 12 months after buying mine it was still for sale. That was about 9 or 10 months ago, don't know if it's still there or not.

The Vt 5L DOES have a cam angle sensor - it's in the dizzy with the hall effect sensor

Know about the hall effect sensor, is the same thing I guess, everything I had read about code 49 was fixed by either modifying the wiring or a new beefed up ignition module. People had changed coils, dizzy, leeds, spark plugs but didn't fix the problem until installing the beefed up module

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Thanks mate. Looks like I've joined the club then :p

The cam angle sensor is actually separate to the hall effect sensor and uses a second reference wheel inside the dizzy. That's why you can't use the earlier dizzy with sequential injection. Apparently without the cam angle sensor functioning it will revert back to group/batch injection.

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
My Sunday afternoon job was fitting the rear Harrops, no issues involved except for having to trim the lip off the baking plate and bend a couple of tabs out of the way a little, bleed with new fluid all through and away she went. Stop hard now, really noticed the difference when did the fronts, pulls up that little bit quicker now with the rears as well.

R

Risky

You're going well with the new stoppers there. It's a nice mod.

The young guys here when they get on their full licences are chasing V8's. It's been more rampant recently so owners who are savvy have jacked up the prices. I saw a Senator like yours in the same colour being driven about by a young guy around here. I doubt it'll get properly looked after.