Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A better handling VE

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
Hey guys,

Recently put lowered SSL/SSSL kings on boge shocks as well whiteline rear crossmember void filler bushes and honestly could not be happier, the ride is almost identical to stock in terms of harshness and it handles great. I've also installed an adjustable rear sway bar and my adjustable front sway bar will go in next week along with new tyres and wheels.

So my question is, is there anything else worth doing to make the VE feel more crisp and responsive without spending heaps of money?

Cheers :beer chug:

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
replace all the rubber bushes with nolathane, get decent shocks (Koni yellow or bilstein).

I'd drive carefully until you get that front sway bar in because you have effectively increased the car's tendancy to over steer by firming up the rear end.

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
replace all the rubber bushes with nolathane, get decent shocks (Koni yellow or bilstein).

I'd drive carefully until you get that front sway bar in because you have effectively increased the car's tendancy to over steer by firming up the rear end.

any specific bushes i should replace? i haven't found the car to be taily at all (at full stiffness), perhaps due to the considerable amount of negative camber up back.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If you want to improve steering response start with the front bushes- radius rod and lower control arm. Should make a big difference.
You can also change the strut tops to urethane as well but this will increase the vibration and harshness of the ride so do them last. ( And i assume you already replaced the strut tops when you did the struts and springs ? )

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
If you want to improve steering response start with the front bushes- radius rod and lower control arm. Should make a big difference.
You can also change the strut tops to urethane as well but this will increase the vibration and harshness of the ride so do them last. ( And i assume you already replaced the strut tops when you did the struts and springs ? )

Strut tops have been replaced but they were not urethane, i'm trying to minimize NVH. Great, i'll take note of them. does it remove the slight slack feeling in the steering wheel?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
any specific bushes i should replace? i haven't found the car to be taily at all (at full stiffness), perhaps due to the considerable amount of negative camber up back.

For such a big car the standard fe2 suspension holds up quite well but when the stock shocks go off it shows. The car tends to skip a bit over bumps and just doesn't stick as well as it used to. If the stock rubbers are in good condition there probably isn't too much to be gained for on road driving (if you can tell the difference then you are probably going too fast!).

Strut tops have been replaced but they were not urethane, i'm trying to minimize NVH. Great, i'll take note of them. does it remove the slight slack feeling in the steering wheel?

If ride quality is important to you then stick with rubber but make sure they are all in top condition.

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
For such a big car the standard fe2 suspension holds up quite well but when the stock shocks go off it shows. The car tends to skip a bit over bumps and just doesn't stick as well as it used to. If the stock rubbers are in good condition there probably isn't too much to be gained for on road driving (if you can tell the difference then you are probably going too fast!).

If ride quality is important to you then stick with rubber but make sure they are all in top condition.

she's getting the $28 peddars check next week, as i have a slight squeek up front.

I am now after a more positive feel with steering; like Greenacc recommended would you suggest a radius rod and lower control arm upgrade as well? if so should i go superpro, whiteline or nolathane

thanks

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It all depends on how you want it to ride and handle. Every time you steer and the car changes direction huge forces are transmitted from the chasis to the front wheels and back again. This all happens through the bushes. Harder bushes transmit the steering force quicker than rubber as they flex and deform less. That gijves you sharper response through the steering wheel and greater accuracy. Downside is that because the urethane bushes are so hard they transfer bumps and vibrations more than rubber too. Nolathane / whiteline have some new bushes which from memory are dual hardness if you want to get fancy. I usually use the blue Superpro ones and like them.
If you are really not sure you could do 1 arm at a time. If you like the result then keep going.
Carefull using pedders, they know how to charge!