Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A/C gets warm.

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
Hi guys and girls!!
Having a issue with my A/C it works OK when driving above 80 k's then when I'm in around the city it seems to be not as cold... What could I do to fix this problem?
I'm thinking not enough air flow to A/C condenser which is why its OK above 80, can I add like a extra fan.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
The best way to test the temperature output is with a meat thermometer at the centre vents, or with one of those IR Thermometer,
the temperature should be approx. 4 > 6 deg.
but what you are saying, sounds like its low in gas, which is possible.

I found the hoses can leak at the joins, either the seals, compression fittings and at the compressor pulley.

I had the compressor on my VY caused a vibration when idling down,
so I replaced it, with a supposably good S/Hand one, but got ripped off from "Central Motor Wreckers" in Ballarat,
and made sure I put fluorescent refrigerant oil in, got it gassed up, and after the 90 day Warranty period, found its was weeping at the front of the compressor by using a UV torch, best time to check it is in the evening, or at night time.

The other things that could cause it to not work properly, the actual Compressor is worn out internally, due to the age of it,
or the TX Valve is faulty, not a common thing, but could be the cause.

Years ago I had a VX Series 2 Berlina Wagon, and that has the same issue as yours, I found and purchased a new replacement Compressor, much to the disgust of the Air Con Tech, as they wasn't able to gouge more $ off me
and got the Air Con tech to change it, and got it gassed up and it worked perfectly after that.

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
Thx guys, My A/C compressor was replaced with a new one 2 years ago, even the day it was replaced and serviced felt like the same issue, I took it back they rechecked it and the temp was at 4.4 degrees on a cool morning, works great when above 80 but in a built up area and doing under 60 you can feel the temp rise. My radiator only 3 years old and clean, should both fans come on when the A/C is engaged. How does the fans operate they not on all the time. Thx again.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Thx guys, My A/C compressor was replaced with a new one 2 years ago, even the day it was replaced and serviced felt like the same issue, I took it back they rechecked it and the temp was at 4.4 degrees on a cool morning, works great when above 80 but in a built up area and doing under 60 you can feel the temp rise. My radiator only 3 years old and clean, should both fans come on when the A/C is engaged. How does the fans operate they not on all the time. Thx again.
They should be on at high speed whenever the A/C is switched on.