Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A/C Not Working

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
My Ute ('07 VZ SS L76) Air Con decided to stop working on Wednesday when I was leaving work. Prior, it was working just fine blowing cold air out.

Whats peoples experiences on re-gassing them? I dont know if its that simple or if the compressor has packed in. I can hear the relay flicking the compressor.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Had to replace the compressor on the Adventra - right cnut of a job on AWD Commodores :/. I think it would be way easier with RWD models. Regas and as good as new.

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
1st - Take it to someone who knows Vehicle Air-Conditioning.
2nd - Barring and electrical issues.... If there is no gas in the system the compressor will not operate/run/engaged.

What should happen then is - They will start to re-gas the system and if it can hold a negative vacuum, they will add the refrigerant with some UV dye and send you on you way - minus $100-150.

If it leaks you will know within a few days and the dye will show where the leak is and the amount of $$$($) will now need to spend now.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
1st - Take it to someone who knows Vehicle Air-Conditioning.
2nd - Barring and electrical issues.... If there is no gas in the system the compressor will not operate/run/engaged.

What should happen then is - They will start to re-gas the system and if it can hold a negative vacuum, they will add the refrigerant with some UV dye and send you on you way - minus $100-150.

If it leaks you will know within a few days and the dye will show where the leak is and the amount of $$$($) will now need to spend now.

yup this ^

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
When you turn the A/C on does the compressor clutch engage? Have you tried to use the A/C since then? The A/C compressor clutch won't engage at all if the gas is too low. Sometimes the compressor will still engage if it's on the verge of having not enough gas - but the A/C just won't get very cool. Usually it happens over a long period of time though

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
took it to my auto elec.

he's on the pricey end of doing a re-gas and check over @ $190 but they dont bullshit around.

so the problem was the Pressure Regulator. I was expecting him to say its going to be a whole new compressor but he said 'nah i can get away with just changing the switch' which I was happy about cause most places would sting you the whole unit.

total bill was $290, and A/C is back to perfect.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
I need to get around to fixing mine