Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A/C Questions

Gaz1111

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VZ Executive
Hi all,
Have a question with regard to the Air Con in the VZ's
My Air Con isn't working. Has a sufficient charge and no leaks. I have pressure tested and vacced system and recharged with correct weight of refrigerant.
I'm pretty sure that the coil is stuffed but have a question before I pull it out further
If the fan for the A/C comes on with the A/C why doesn't my A/C condensor fan come on when I press the button for it to work?
Somehow I think something is holding out the compressor and fan from engaging.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Start you car, turn the AC on, and with a small hammer tap the compressor clutch and see if it grabs. The coils do go, but not all that common, but easy to replace if it is gone.

Gaz1111

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VZ Executive
Start you car, turn the AC on, and with a small hammer tap the compressor clutch and see if it grabs. The coils do go, but not all that common, but easy to replace if it is gone.
Cheers,
Haven't tried that yet.
What I'm trying to work out is that if I have the A/C on (switch on) then the clutch should engage(if coil isn't burn't out) but also the smaller A/C condenser fan should be operating (when the A/C switch is on). Mine doesn't run at all except for the times that it is required to run in tandem with the large radiator fan.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I had same problem, plenty gas but no air con.
Compressor clutch had died, meaning new compressor.
No change from $1000 in fact some thieves wanted up to $1550.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon

I hate it when I see these things just for a clutch. The clutch can be replaced without removing the compressor or even degassing the system. Yes, the manual says to remove the compressor to do it, but that's only because it's easier, but can be done on the car. Here is the basics for checking the clutch, and for a bearing/clutch replacement. You don't usually need the special tools, just a puller.

Attachments

• Clutch check.pdf
    32.7 KB · Views: 229
  • Clutch and bearing.pdf
    595.5 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Hi all,
Have a question with regard to the Air Con in the VZ's
My Air Con isn't working. Has a sufficient charge and no leaks. I have pressure tested and vacced system and recharged with correct weight of refrigerant.
I'm pretty sure that the coil is stuffed but have a question before I pull it out further
If the fan for the A/C comes on with the A/C why doesn't my A/C condensor fan come on when I press the button for it to work?
Somehow I think something is holding out the compressor and fan from engaging.
The a/c relay should activate the compressor. ? Are you licenced to do a/c fitting..

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I hate it when I see these things just for a clutch. The clutch can be replaced without removing the compressor or even degassing the system. Yes, the manual says to remove the compressor to do it, but that's only because it's easier, but can be done on the car. Here is the basics for checking the clutch, and for a bearing/clutch replacement. You don't usually need the special tools, just a puller.
I was told at the time (May 2016) by all 3 I got quotes from, that clutches were no longer available.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
You can get them from the states pretty easily, Amazon or ebay. Quick ebay search for GM compressor clutch its not the exact one you need, but I'm on my way out and haven't time right now to search, but you get the idea. Also its in the interest to just replace the compressor, more $$$$ https://bit.ly/2TtMRzE

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
A genuine gmh compressor was about $500 on the pm surplus ebay store in 2017.

Gaz1111

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VZ Executive
The a/c relay should activate the compressor. ? Are you licenced to do a/c fitting..
Not sure why you ask....
Yes it is obvious that the relay controls the compressor. My question was to do with interlocking of the A/C Condenser fan and the compressor. I don't have schematics or a control system overlay/ control strategy which was why I was asking if anyone with any knowledge of same could advise?
Nothing to do with licensing at all? Which as a matter of fact I am....