Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A few problems with my VS Calais

ICUBYE

Do I Smell Burnin Rubber?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0Litre '96 Series 1
thanks for your input, i will be looking into these things in the next couple of days.

my main problem was the blowing of the fuse when i give to much throttle in reverse and the fuel consumption.

any more ideas on these???

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
About the boot leak. I have the same thing. There is actually a good how-to guide made up recently. Some people have found the fault to be the tail light, but by the sounds of it you might have the same thing as I do at the moment. After reading the how-to it cleared it up a bit for me.

Now I always found water sitting under my spare tyre too. Recently after reading the how to guide, after a few days of rain, I had a close look. I noticed just next to the tyre, next to the jack, there is a metal 'wall'. I noticed just behind it there was a tiny bit of water and it was a bit rusy, so the water is coming from the 1/4 window for me. The how-to describes how to fix it so I will be fixing it in the next few days when I get a chance.

Found the how-to

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=35199

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
3b.When i turn off the climate control i can still feel heat or cool air coming from the vents at my feet and sometimes my face, like when i get my car serviced they turn the heat on full when changing the coolent, when i get back in the car i turn off the climate control but its still hot on my feet.

Not sure about this I dont recall my Calais doing that... but check the temperature is low enough before switching off...the problem may be because of vents staying open by default and it may be leaving the temp setting retained...ie. heater tap open... the cheapest and best way of diagnosing things if you cant find the answers here is to head down to your friendly wreckers and see if they will let you swap parts over to diagnose the problem... I'd be looking at the electronic display control switch and solenoid valve if the vacuum lines are ok ! Else if you take it somewhere they'll charge like a wounded bull due to the time it takes to diagnose the problem and they'll most likely be doing the same thing... swapping parts over.

Press the Re-circ button and the vent will turn off.

ICUBYE

Do I Smell Burnin Rubber?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0Litre '96 Series 1
ok as for the boot leaking.

i pulled off the boot lid liner today to get to the nuts for the garnish and found the last nut on the drivers side to be rusted and also the 2 bolts holding on the reverse light on the drivers side was rusted too. so it looks like it might be coming in there.

VL Soldier

The rims maketh the ride!
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
'87 VL Exec & '95 VS Berlina
i've got the same problem too. I got the Windscreens O'Brien guy out today to have a look cause I thought he'd need to reseal both back 1/4 windows as I thought that's where it was getting in from but he assured me they'd already been re-sealed and nothing was getting in. He showed me the nuts on the rear of the garnish and they have slight water marks on them so I'm gonna have a hack at removing the garnish and take a look tomorrow. Failing that he said to look around the tail-lights. And because I have a spoiler he suggested looking around there too but it looks pretty well sealed. he said these are the most common places for VR/VSs (Didn't charge me for the call-out either!) Hope that helps.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
my vr had a leak too, and it was the 1/4 window. the boot lights and garnish may let water into the boot but it runs down and out some holes in the bottom of the boot lid. mine lets in water on the taillight on the boot but none gets in the boot. the taillights won't let water in the boot either cos it is sealed and there is a rubber grommet that the wires feed through. thats probably the only way it can get in but unlikely. i checked everything and stripped the boot completely and found nothing then came across the 1/4 window leak. the stalling prob i'm not sure on, but my car does it when first started after letting it sit for 8 or 9hrs plus but then goes away. it doesn't stall but stutters a bit then it's ok. sorry for the long post but i hope it helps. good luck mate.