Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A few questions before i do a major service...

lkorruptl

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm just about to do a major service on my car but i just have a few questions before i go ahead with it!

This is the list of what i'm planning to do, other than the regular checks of course,

-change oil and oil filter
-replace air filter
-replace spark plugs
-replace fuel filter
-replace brake fluid
-replace transmission fluid

I'm not gonna change dif oil or coolant cause i just did that. Is there anything i'm missing?

Also, what sort of engine oil should i use? I have been using shell semi synthetic 15w-40, is this pretty good?

I'm probably gonna get bosch spark plugs, but they have 3 ranges from basic to platinum. Is it worth getting the platinum ones or not bother?

The fuel filter is something i haven't replaced before, is it fairly easy? What is the procedure for this? Also i read somewhere they have like a retainer thing, or is it just the fuel filter that gets replaced...?

Am i right in saying doing the transmission fluid is just draining and refilling or does it need to be bled and stuff too? Is this a similar procedure to the brake fluid?

Now finally, what is the capacity of the engine oil, and brake and transmission fluid?

I read somewhere about clutch fluid but i'm guessing thats just a different way of saying transmission fluid?

Sorry about the long and large amount of questions, just don't wanna stuff anything up!

Thanks in advance.:)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
How many k's on your car? That has a major bearing on what needs to be done.

In relation to your list, you don't seem to have missed anything, but you could always have a look at the other things listed on the service schedule in your handbook (which probably never get done at the dealer, but you get charged for anyway) like lubing door catches, checking suspension/tyres/battery level.

1. Synthetic oil 15W40 is pretty close to the specification set by Holden, so it would be ok.

2. The fuel filter is straightforward once you know what to do, but is very confusing for the first time. It's retained by a plastic clip with two small lugs at each end. You need to push the fuel pipe in towards the filter to take any load off the clip, then depress the two lugs and pull the pipe off the filter. Depressurise the fuel system first, by removing the fuel pump relay and starting the car. It will run for a couple of seconds, then stall. Operate the starter for about two to three seconds after it stalls, then stop. This ensures all residual fuel pressure has been removed from the system before you attempt to remove the filter.

3. Reference to clutch fluid is only for manual transmission cars with hydraulically operated clutches.

4. Replacing the auto trans fluid should be done when the fluid is cool, never when it's hot. You have to undo the trans sump pan carefully and dump the oil into a large pan. If you haven't done it before, you release all the bolts around the pan equally and in small increments. Then start to remove the rear bolts a bit more than the front, so the rear of the pan can tilt down and the fluid will spill over into your catch tray. Gradually increase the amount you release the bolts so that you can continue to pour the old oil out. Once it ceases spilling over, you can release all the bolts and lower the pan carefully - it will still be holding a fair bit of oil.

You should replace the sump gasket, filter and filter o-ring, which comes with the trans kit. The o-ring can be a proper pain to remove and awkward to replace. I made a replacer out of a piece of electricity conduit pipe, but have only ever done the o-ring twice. It will probably be ok to leave your old one in - if the old filter requires a firm tug to remove and the new one is firm to replace, the o-ring is probably ok. Just check the actual contact surface to ensure there is no damage after taking the old filter out.

Once you have dumped the old oil and replaced everything, top up through the dipstick hole. No bleeding is involved, just don't pour too quickly and check the levels as you go.

5. Spark plugs. My personal preference is NGK plugs - they are high quality, reasonably priced and give good service. I used to use Bosch but consider NGK's to be much better.

6. Capacities - check your handbook. I think the engine is about 5.4 litres with a new filter. Brakes - have three bottles of brake fluid ready - you probably won't need that much but you will certainly need more than one. Trans - can't recall, but I think it's around 4.5 litres for a change. Much more if you could do a full refill, but you won't be doing that.

Good luck.