Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A few questions

MaFaLu

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 Toyota Lexcen Newport (VR S2 Calais)
Gday guys, just got a couple of questions / issues that have got me puzzled and figured this is the best place to ask.

First of all, since the last oil / filter change in my VR with 210K Km on it, the car has burnt nearly 2L of oil, and before this it never lost a drop. The only difference with this change is that i used oil designed for older engines, not cheap crap like in the past. It seems to be coming from the exhaust as it will blow smoke on startup and when cold. The valve stem seals were done about 30 - 40K ago (about 5 years ago) and its got relatively low Ks for a buick engine. Coolant has no oil in it and vice versa, and there appears to be no visible leaks apart from a VERY minor leak of the rear mains and out the bell housing, so minor that after a week there is no oil left on the ground where the car was parked.

Secondly, regarding upgrading to a VT booster and master cylinder, is the VT booster a straight bolt up job apart from having to weld and redrill the new hole, or is it just alot easier to buy a VS plastic booster and use that? Only reason is that i can get a VT booster and MC for free of a mate thats wrecking one.

Lastly, my exhaust has 2 centre mufflers and 1 rear muffler, which are all knackered. Ive searched the wreckers for the same exhaust but cant seem to get my hands on the same one (funds are short or id go to a cat back exhaust), and my question is, will any standard IRS exhaust fit? and whats the deal with the twin centre mufflers? I fixed the herendous rattling that it was making temporarily with a coathangar lol.

Thanks anyone for any replies i appreciate the assistance :)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
First....dunno why it would suddenly burn oil....I'd just keep an eye on it...maybe pull the plugs to see if any are wet with oil.
Second....I think they fit but you have to weld a bit on the VS pushrod otherwise the pedal is too close to the floor...warning..this is from memory so do a search on this as it has been covered many times before.
Lastly...don't know why a standard exhaust would not fit - mine has the 3 mufflers and recently got the middle one replaced ($160)...the wreckers had plenty to choose from but I got lazy. Is you backend solid or IRS? Check the muffler manufacturers on the web - some have illustrations of setups, also sometimes on Ebay they have pix of what's on offer.
Sorry I cannot be of more help.

MaFaLu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah i read somewhere that changing oil types can cause it to need to "adapt" itself seal wise to the new oil, but i dont think it would cause it to burn this much oil, im thinking of just ripping off the heads, new valve stem seals, new head gaskets, new manifold gaskets and give her a birthday, because its already at the add mark again.

I read a bit more and apparently the VS booster is a straight bolt-up, but the VT one requires modification, so i mgiht try buying the VS booster off ebay because its fairly cheap and see how i go.

Also do you know if the 3 muffler exhaust with 2 side-by-side centre mufflers and 1 rear muffler is anything special to lexcens or calais or is it just another exhaust holden decided to use for some wierd reason that only they will comprehend? lol Only reason i ask is because if it makes it run better or some special reason id like to replace it with what came off.

Thanks for your help.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Also do you know if the 3 muffler exhaust with 2 side-by-side centre mufflers and 1 rear muffler is anything special to lexcens or calais or is it just another exhaust holden decided to use for some wierd reason that only they will comprehend? lol Only reason i ask is because if it makes it run better or some special reason id like to replace it with what came off.

Thanks for your help.

Haven't seen that setup.....maybe it's been done aftermarket. Nothing wrong with the standard setup....where is Somerville?....

MaFaLu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Its located on the mornington peninsula in Victoria's (south east suburbs).

It could well be aftermarket because its the welds on the mufflers where the pipes connect that have fallen apart and need to be re welded (I can get them re welded if need be) and the rear muffler is FULL of holes and needs to be replaced haha. I might either re weld it (my fathers a panel beater and has the know-how and equipment to do this) or Harveys wreckers wants $60 for the exhaust cat-back if i pull it off myself, which isn't hard.

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
Its easier if you get your girlfriend to pull it off