Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A Few VH Questions

metalhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
253 VH, 400rwhp 12at 323
Hey guys, I've done a bit of a search, and I was wondering if you guys could help me. A couple of months ago I picked up a VH, it's a pretty clean car with 253, lpg and a supra 5 speed. It's a great car, but I just have a few questions:

- Trims: it has the rubber trims with the chrome strips and the one on the drivers door came off. I bought the proper double sided tape stuff for car body trims but it only held it on for a couple of weeks, I assume because they are much heavier than normal plastic trims. What is the best way to stick the trims on? Also, are these trims still available to buy anywhere?

- Taillights: Is there anywhere that VH taillights can still be bought new? I can't find any aftermarket, and although I haven't rung them I assume Holden don't still stock them?

- Rust repairs: The car is very good, but has the usual bit of rust around the windscreens. Does anyone sell rust repair sections for these areas?

- Paint Colour: It is a pale blue colour, I believe it is the factory colour though the car has been resprayed at some point. Could anyone give me any tips as to what the colour might be?

If anyone can help me with these questions that would be great. I'm just looking to tidy up the car and continue to drive it for now, it drives great for what it is. When I finish my current project (turbocharged rotary) I will build a blown v8 to drop in it and overhaul it a bit more. Any help you guys can give me would be great.

Thanks in advance.

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
tail lights - I'm pretty sure most car parts stores should be able to get them. repco can order TYC ones.

metalhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
253 VH, 400rwhp 12at 323
Thanks mate. I've contacted quite a few online parts stores who told me they're no longer available, but that's a good thought, I'll try and get to Repco this weekend. Do you think they may have rust repair sections too? Perhaps Rare Spares would be a better bet for that.

Anyone know the best method for sticking the trim back on? The car looks crappy with one trim missing.:(

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
If it's pale blue if may have been a South Australian highway car but I don't know if they ever used them with 253s, you could probably get VH's in another pale blue also, you can use some bonding stuff to get the trim on but you mjight wish you didn't if you have to get it off again

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Hey guys, I've done a bit of a search, and I was wondering if you guys could help me. A couple of months ago I picked up a VH, it's a pretty clean car with 253, lpg and a supra 5 speed. It's a great car, but I just have a few questions:

- Trims: it has the rubber trims with the chrome strips and the one on the drivers door came off. I bought the proper double sided tape stuff for car body trims but it only held it on for a couple of weeks, I assume because they are much heavier than normal plastic trims. What is the best way to stick the trims on? Also, are these trims still available to buy anywhere?

- Taillights: Is there anywhere that VH taillights can still be bought new? I can't find any aftermarket, and although I haven't rung them I assume Holden don't still stock them?

- Rust repairs: The car is very good, but has the usual bit of rust around the windscreens. Does anyone sell rust repair sections for these areas?

- Paint Colour: It is a pale blue colour, I believe it is the factory colour though the car has been resprayed at some point. Could anyone give me any tips as to what the colour might be?

If anyone can help me with these questions that would be great. I'm just looking to tidy up the car and continue to drive it for now, it drives great for what it is. When I finish my current project (turbocharged rotary) I will build a blown v8 to drop in it and overhaul it a bit more. Any help you guys can give me would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Can't remember the name, but there's some black gear which u should use for the strips. We got some out in the shed but can't remember the name, it comes in a dual tube sort of thing, one tube has a black gear in it, the other has the gear which once mixed with the black stuff it sets off.

As for the window rust repairs, the front piece is called the cowl panel. Holden don't make them anymore, but repro ones u can get from RareSpares for about $180. We're wrecking a VK and VH at the moment, and the cowl panel is 100% rust free on one, and minor surface rust on the other, I can chop it out if u want it, as well as the rear window section....PM me if ur interested and we'll work out a price. I'll only chop around the cowl panel (don't have time to make it all neat coz we've got 2 wrecks to dump on the weekend, and need to strip them within the next few days), so you'd have to drill out the spot welds and stuff b4 i could use it. I don't want heaps for it, so let me know ASAP. I might be able to post it too.

I think the cop cars were a pale blue, but not sure of the colour. There's also Pacific Blue, but that isn't really a pale blue, and it's mostly on Vacationers I think.

metalhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
253 VH, 400rwhp 12at 323
Thanks guys, I'll see if I can hunt down some of the black stuf described, a product name would be great if you think of it or see it, but that probably should be enough description to find it. PM sent regarding repair sections, I'm in Sydney though so it will depend if it's worthwhile.

Also, I pulled up a corner of the carpet last night, and the box section on the passenger side is white. Does this mean the car was originally white? I knew the car had been resprayed at some point, but I thought under the bonnet was the original paint (it looks like it's seen 26 years of work!), and it's the same colour as the bodywork so I had thought the colour was the original.

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
Can't remember the name, but there's some black gear which u should use for the strips. We got some out in the shed but can't remember the name, it comes in a dual tube sort of thing, one tube has a black gear in it, the other has the gear which once mixed with the black stuff it sets off.

Is it that Sikaflex stuff or however it's spelt? I think thats black...

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Just went and checked and the stuff I got is called 3M Automix, 8115 Adhesive. It says on it that it's NASCAR officially licensed. I guess just go to a hardware shop and ask them bout it. We used it to chuck the side strip back on PEAKN6, and it hasn't come off yet. Also used it to put around the top of my pedal box around the clutch cable hole. The foam was crusty (the small bit which is visible in the engine bay), so smeared this gear around it and once dried it looked all shiny and nice :thumbsup:

I got mine from work, I empty bins and clean up their mess (crash repairers), and I found a tube of it half full in the rubbish....we needed sumfin for the side strip so brought it home, works a treat! :w00t:

Nos_VQ

Hot Rod Metal Fabricator
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VH wagon, 54 Plymouth
Sikaflex®-529 is a multifunctional one-part polyurethane hybrid sealant for car body assemblies.

SSS makes reproduction vh tail lights.

Search ebay for rust repair panels. They come up from time to time.