Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A Good (Leagal) Exhaust for a WH LS1?

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
Hi im contemplating the fart section of my WH Statesman questions i would like to ask are:
1. is 3inch too big for something that just has a tad bigger throttle body and injectors added to the engine and would it be too loud?
2. I do like a good crackle to my note so what brand/size would produce a good crackle
3. Engine is tuned to larger air an fuel mixture would i have to take it in for a new tune after adding a exhaust? or can i get away without it as om only looking to go from cats back as my statesman already has hi flow cats.
4. i like minimum duel hotdog style so do WH Statesman's have a duel side cutouts for exhausts in the rear bumper or dose it only come to the rear left? as would like to go Quad Hotdogs but don't want to do cutout as would not be perfect like from factory
5. really 4 continued if no duel exhaust bumper than what about a caprice or grange from the same era of WH? do they have a bumper for quads and would it fit a WH Statesman?

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
A stock exhaust is a legal exhaust. Pretty much anything else is not, it just depends how much attention it gets. Even a very basic sports system is usually much louder than permit levels. A crackle? Haha well and truly beyond what's legal. Depends how much excess fuel being dumped as well, rather than size. But still, carry on.

Talk to an exhaust shop, they do this all day, every day, know what sizes work best for your mods and what will fit. You can gain further from a tune after a new exhaust, but you don't have to. It depends how much of a restriction the previous exhaust/mufflers were, air/fuel tuned to suit it. They may suggest a kit and a particular muffler or an entire system built in-house. That way they are more than happy when you return for tweaks to muffler sound or tips or something touching somewhere, less when you've done it yourself.

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
i have one exhaust place near me they suggested a red back 2 1/2 cat back as already have hi-flow cats and upgraded fuel injectors and throttle body, and its tuned already they also said going from the statesman stock exhaust to the red back 2 1/2 should not need to re- tune the car. that is why im asking currently i cant drive it as stock one has a hole in the rear muffler (so if i get pulled over driving to exhaust places around that's a canary) and have wanted to upgrade for a while now and have the spar change to do it instead of getting my exhaust place to fix the stock one so

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Catbacks don't affect power all that much,moreso the sound....oversized 3" is what gives you that snap,pop & crackle some people like but will drone like a mofo' especially on an automatic.

If it's mafless tuned otr/extractors.100-200cell cats will be the poweradders....even with 2.5" redback it will still be quiet you'll just notice it when put the boot in.Extractors/cats before catback then tune/otr

If it's tuned it's already illegal as deemed not factory spec...lots of cars with subtle mods don't get pulled over or noticed.

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
stock air filter and maff tuned no otr as wh statesman did not have it so if i did that would be taken off the road if it went over the pits no exhaust yet was asking few questions before i do get an exhaust cats i don't know just was told by the mechanic a few yrs ago now when i first brought and registered is that it has hi-flow cats, since then i added a 102mm T/B and 646cc injectors had it tuned and she has been a dream until the hole appeared it was ok then it just got too big and noticeable

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
oh well wasted coin on throttlebody & injectors if everything else is stock.

Had 2.5 redback on stock Sv8 when I got it was still quiet unless got revs up high....car was boring untill did usual otr/tune/full exhaust mods

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
that's your opinion on my t/b and injectors i find they are quite good no lagg in acceleration no flooding with the injectors and also is ready for a cam and maby big end work. im just after exhaust information and what would be a good combo for what i like vs what i have installed to car

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
im just after exhaust information and what would be a good combo

I know it's the old "Do a search" cliché, but..............Use the search function, that's what it's there for
People have been upgrading and talking about exhaust systems since the LS1 was put into the VT Series II
There is hours & hours of reading online with peoples opinions and experiences if you are prepared to spend the time to look for it

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I know it's the old "Do a search" cliché, but..............Use the search function, that's what it's there for
People have been upgrading and talking about exhaust systems since the LS1 was put into the VT Series II
There is hours & hours of reading online with peoples opinions and experiences if you are prepared to spend the time to look for it

And then there is the rabbit hole that is youtube vids.

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
but i have did some things already as stated in OP and am looking for an opinion for what i have on the engine VS the way i like it to look not what other ppl have done to their engines vs what they like and think is good. i am after specifically what would suit my build